Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to identify transmission and transfer case in a Brat?

odie

Newbie here...I tried the search function but haven't found much yet...

Basically how do I visually identify what transfer case I have? It's a 1985 Brat GL (assuming the emblems are correct). 4 speed trans (the knob says 4 but could be a swapped knob) and I can't "find" 5th by searching with the shifter so I'm pretty sure it's a 4 speed. The transfer case lever doesn't say anything other than 4WD. No high/low markings. It shifts up into 4WD ok but that's all. The owner's manual says to push the clutch in to shift further into 4WD Low but it won't move any farther.

It's entirely possible someone removed the 5 spd and dual range and swapped in a 4 speed and single range T/C. Not sure why. Or is the 5spd Dual range an optional item for the Brat? I had assumed all GL Brats were 5 speed and dual range.

All manual transmission Brats had 4 speeds from the factory, not 5.

Not sure about the US but in Australia all Gen 2 Brats/Brumbys (and yours is a Gen 2) had dual range 4wd too.So something seems to be amiss. Are you sure you are pulling the 4wd lever all the way up for lo? There should be 2 discernable detents when you use the lever.

Of course the transmission could have been swapped at some point.

Edited by Leeroy

I don't want to force the lever up. The person I bought it from said they bought it from a guy who had 2-3 other Brats and used them for mudding a lot. I can definitely see were he would have swapped transfer cases so he could have the more desireable dual range unit. Is there a difference in the case exteriors that would identify it for sure?

I could look for signs that the TC has been pulled (marks on bolts, case to trans mounting joint disturbed and such)

The engine is marked EA81, but GL and DL both had the same engine?

Is there a part number or stamping on the TC that would identify it?

On the D/R 4-speeds, look at the right hand side of the trans, just under where the starter sits, but near top of trans. You should see a rod/lever. That is the Hi/Low Range selector.

It may be that yours needs some adjustment, or the rod is bent, or pivot points are worn.

There are 2 distinct detents for 4WD and Low Range on the shifter.

On the D/R 4-speeds, look at the right hand side of the trans, just under where the starter sits, but near top of trans. You should see a rod/lever. That is the Hi/Low Range selector.

This.

Look at the side of teh trans.  If there is a long rod with balljoints at each end running along the side of teh trans, it's a D/R.

No rod, Single range.

Count the switches in the side of the box. A dual range should have three. The reverse light switch is so close to the lhs gearbox mount you almost need to remove mount to swap out switch. A DR likely has two more above somewhere to light up your dash hi lo lights

I had one where low range hadn`t been used for so long,the high/low shifter rail in the transfer case was seized.Went into 4 high fine.No low.

Some minor disassembly and a few hammer taps took care of it.

that kinda sounds like what I got going on...still waiting on my Haynes to arrive so I can see an actual linkage schematic...

anyway, the starter sits high and off to the drivers (left side) in about the 10 o'clock position (as you are sitting in the car) not sure if that helps to identify the trans.

There is a lever up nere the starter with a rod going back along the top of the trans. getting under the Brat that rod appears to go into the trans/transfer case at the top about midway. there is another rod coming out of the top of the trans from that area which goes back to the gear shifter area and up thru the floor (4WD lever I assume)

I'm going to guess is a dual range and the low range shifter is seized...please elaborate on the disassembly and hammer fix...need to drop or partially drop trans for access?

I'm going to guess is a dual range and the low range shifter is seized...please elaborate on the disassembly and hammer fix...need to drop or partially drop trans for access?

Been so long,I have trouble remembering.

Motor was out.Don`t think trans was out,but maybe.

IIRC,I removed the plate w/4 bolts at the top of the transfer case to access the shifter rails.

I remember thinking afterwards that I probably could have freed things up by being a little more forceful w/the selector lever.

In your case,I would carefully tap on the lever by the starter while someone applies pressure to the selector lever

Go to this thread http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/126047-my-83-gl-safariwagon-iii/page-68

Posts 1681 and 1683 have pics of the D/R 4-speed showing linkage and stuff.

thanks for the link...welll I do indeed have a dual range TC...just gotta figure out why it won't go into low...I'll probably be pulling it in the end and working on the linkage. Would probably be easier in the end.