Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Receiver hitch for 85 Brat

Best place to buy a receiver hitch for a1985 Brat?

Thanks

Robert

You found it.

Post in the WTB forum, and you may find some bites.

Also, junkyards are your friend. That's probably your most likely find location.

I haven't looked into it, but you may still be able to buy one from u-haul.

Don't be too shocked if they want as much as you paid for your car for one.

Twitch

I just googled it...got a hit from u-haul...

"If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for two to three days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements."

sounds like a road trip for someone...lol

Seriously, no towing?

Subaru Australia offered towbar fitment at the dealer for the Brumby :P

You might want to google "towbar fitment Subaru Brumby" to see what is still available here in Aus. Off the shelf, even with shipping, might still be cheaper than custom made there.

I think it's a US liability thing as to why most US owner's manuals say "towing not recommended"...the owners manual that was in my Brat has a picture of it towing a trailer with a big red X over it.

But since the Brat has a bed a hitch is pretty low on my priority at the moment...I really need to get it street legal and registered before anything else.

I towed an 88 dl wagon 85 miles on a towbar with an 86 brat with a tongue hitch. That was a bit much, not for the car itself, but for the driver. The vehicle in tow outweighed thebrat, so it was all driving skill makes it safe or unsafe. This would not be a task for a novice driver!

But the brat is perfectly capable of towing 1500 lbs such as a teardrop camper, a u-haul 5x8 trailer, or a aluminum fishing boat. Upgrades can be made to the brakes if you retrofit ea82 bits. 

The dual range can be divorced and operated in 2wd if you disconnect some linkages. The 4wd and dual range are ganged together. The lo range can be operated independently if you disconnect it.

Otherwise, you can tart out in 4wd lo on a perfectly straight road for 1st and 2nd gear and shif itno 2wd hi. I only recommend this if you understand how the 4wd works with subaru.

Edited by MilesFox
  • Like 1