Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Damaged strut top out bumper

In the middle of changing out a strut and my bottom out bumper is pretty chewed up.  $46 at the dealer, and 4-5 day wait.  Only 20 online and probably faster delivery but I'm supposed to head out of town later this evening and that won't be possible if my car isn't back together. 

I don't want to take the strut apart again just to replace the bumper so I'll probably wait if I have to.  Getting a bunch of little foam rubber pieces in the new strut doesn't sound good for it.

Thoughts?  Should I run it or replace it?  I can postpone my trip but would rather not if this isn't a big deal.

IMG_3823_zpsda63a018.jpg

edit: bottom out bumper i mean.

Edited by 14D

Thats what I was hoping this thing is really falling apart though.   It got completely saturated with oil and now flakes apart very easily.  

Anyone else have experience with these?  As always thanks for all the help.

What brand is the suspect part from Autozone? Probably better than what's in the picture, anyway.

That's what I'm thinking at this point.  I can't leave my car in its current position on jack stands for too long anyways.  Looks like the cheaper one is a "Gabriel" or they can order a KYB one for twenty.  I'll probably go with the cheaper one, I should have had them send it to the  closer store so I could've checked it out/bought it today.

Edited by 14D