Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help with SPFI

Hey guys, I'm back!

Anyways, I'm working at a sooby shop now and a 91 wagon needed an engine. The donor was a 87 carbbed engine. I switched over the intake from the SPFI and put it on the carbbed block. Got the engine in, everything hooked up but now it wont start. the ECU was giving me a throttle sensor code and a air sensor code, so I swapped those. Now its giving me a fuel injector code, so I swapped the Throttle body out. Reset the computer and its still giving the fuel injector code. The computer that was gave to me for the car, might not be the right one. The connectors match up, but someone told me that the EA82s have like 20 different computers for them.

I need to get it running so I can get paid for the job. Anyone have any ideas why it would still be giving me the fuel injectors #1 and 2 code?

And is there anything else that I could check? Its got spark, good compression, good fuel presssure at the hoses at the TBI.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds

injectors 1 and 2? Hm. That doesnt sound right for a SPFI ECU, SPFI has ONE Fuel injector. Might want to use a known SPFI ECU, as the one in it may be MPFI or TURBO. I dont know how to tell the differences by looking at the ECUs....

Hold on there speedy.. the code you are referring to (injectors 1&2) is code 14. That also applies for an SPFI.. but a code 14 for SPFI is 'abnormal injector output'

However, if you do have an known SPFI ECU available, try it out.. can't hurt.

thats a very good question. I had the same problem with a 90 loyale.. it ended up going to XSNRG.. he couldn't figure it out either.. he ended up selling it to some girl that fixed it in like 15 minutes.. might want to get ahold of him, or I can maybe give him a call and see what the deal was

Did you block up the ports in the heads where the carb has "plumbing" for the emissions/EGR?Those are the holes on the exhaust port facing outward towards the side of the car.

Just something I know you have to do when using the carb's heads under the SPFI-been there,done that.

Nope I didnt do that. The sideburns (air suction valve) which blows air into the exhaust so the cat burns completely. You dont need to disconnect them, just reroute them to the SPFI air intake.

As for the EGR valve, newer engines still have egrs on them. The EGR valve, I just blocked off the vacumn hose.

Anyone have any ideas on what computer I need for a 91 loyale?

Hmm, let me take a shot here, a 91 loyal computer.

Seriously though. Have you checked your outputs? Namely injector pulse, as it starts with starting fluid I think your spark is alright. If you aren't getting injector pulse, you might want to check the computer. If it's got a fried transistor inside it, it won't switch the injector.

If memory serves me correctly, the injector is powered all the time, so one side of the plug should have 12v when the key is on, the other side should be ground. So useing a high resistance check light, put one end to the + the other to the side of the injector plug without the 12v's (yeah yeah, I know, duh, but this is for other people that don't know how to do this also). then crank the motor and see if the test light pulses, if not, then you've got your problem in the computer. However if you do have a pulse you'll have to dig further, cause technically it has everything it needs, fuel and fire, I'm thinking timing and compression are going to be ohkay. So check your fuel pressure, check it with and without the return line clamped off, with the return clamped, it should hit over 60psi, without it clamped, should be around 25-30 without the engine running. Lemme know what you come up with, and whot not, if'n your still havein probs, we'll get this figured out. As a tech I know how important it is to ship vehicles in order to get paid.

Hmm, let me take a shot here, a 91 loyal computer.

hehe.. I guess I shouda worded that differently. I've heard they used two different computers in the same year on some ea82's. Supposedly there is a way to tell the computer number with the Vin number off the car. But I havent seen anything about vins matching computer numbers..

I called the guy at the shop and hes gonna have another ecm for me to try tommorow.