Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Soggy Legacy Wagon Cargo Area

Legacy Wagon Cargo Area Wet Water

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OregonKJ

OregonKJ

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

My 2004 Legacy Wagon is having a water issue.  I pulled up my protective rubber cargo mat to find a soaking wet floor!  It is only wet on the driver's side.  I pulled everything out I could, and found water clear down into the spare tire area and into the compartment that hold the jack.  The top of the mat had NO water on it, so I know that the leak is coming from below somewhere.  Any ideas on where I should start looking?  I knew my car was smelling moldy/mildewy, so at least I know where that is coming from know!

Thanks for the help!

Photo 1 shows the wet jack compartment

photo 2 shows how far down the water was found in the cargo area

Attached Files

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,611 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Do you have a sun roof?

#3 OregonKJ

OregonKJ

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Do you have a sun roof?

Yes, I have a sun and a moon roof.

#4 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • canada

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

oregonKJ,

The sunroof has drain tubes at each of its corners, as there will always be some water that leaks past the seals when the sunroof is closed and it rains. When these drains (really plastic tubes) get plugged with dirt, the water will overflow the rain channel and drain down into the car, rather than through the tubes to the outside of the car. Your rear draintube on the driver's side is either plugged, or the tube has disconnected from the rain channel, or the tube itself has split. In any case, the water will overflow and follow the inner plastic panels of the C pillar down to the carpeted steel floor.

Search the archives here for how to unplug the drain tubes (its a common fault) and you may get lucky. If aftercleaning out the drain tubes you still have a leak, then the headliner may have to be pulled down to fix a disconnected drain tube, or one that is split. Been there, done that. Its a DIYer, but is time consumming. Good Luck!

#5 OregonKJ

OregonKJ

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

oregonKJ,

The sunroof has drain tubes at each of its corners, as there will always be some water that leaks past the seals when the sunroof is closed and it rains. When these drains (really plastic tubes) get plugged with dirt, the water will overflow the rain channel and drain down into the car, rather than through the tubes to the outside of the car. Your rear draintube on the driver's side is either plugged, or the tube has disconnected from the rain channel, or the tube itself has split. In any case, the water will overflow and follow the inner plastic panels of the C pillar down to the carpeted steel floor.

Search the archives here for how to unplug the drain tubes (its a common fault) and you may get lucky. If aftercleaning out the drain tubes you still have a leak, then the headliner may have to be pulled down to fix a disconnected drain tube, or one that is split. Been there, done that. Its a DIYer, but is time consumming. Good Luck!

Thanks so  much!  I will see if it works and then get to cleaning the carpet!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Legacy Wagon, Cargo Area, Wet, Water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users