Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

At wits end! 1990 Legacy won't keep running in rain

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hansonworld2003

hansonworld2003

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Conifer CO

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

1990 Legacy wagon starts up, drives for about 30 minutes in rain or wet snow, then starts misfiring and dies. Will  start right back up, but acts as if not running on all cylinders. Tach all over the place but no power.  Can sit for awhile, then nurse it a couple more miles and it dies all over again.

Replaced spark plug wires, fuel pump.

Is there a crankshaft position sensor that could be getting wet?

Suggestions?    

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,673 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

coil pack??

#3 TOONGA

TOONGA

I divided by zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Australind

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

it could be the coil pack  or the ignition relay(well hidden under the dash orange relay) or the igniter(under bonnet) Have you checked for codes?

TOONGA

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,828 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

Get it warmed up one night and most some water (spray bottle) on the coil pack, look for sparklies.

#5 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,738 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Get it warmed up one night and mist some water (spray bottle) on the coil pack, look for sparklies.

Do this ^   waiting until after dark makes the spark easier to see.

Also mist a little water around the spark plug end of the wires. If you used a cheap set of wires you could have one that is jumping spark to the block. I had that happen to me before on my 1990 EJ22 - it was so bad that I could see it in broad daylight! Had to wrap the boot with electrical tape to get to where I was going & get another set of wires. No more cheap wires for me!

the crank & cam sensors should not really be affected by moisture unless the housings are cracked/damaged (pretty rare)

Do you have a CEL on? (does it even work?) If so, finding out what the code is would be big help in diagnosing.

#6 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

I had a similar problem with my 96 years ago and it was water getting into the MAF. I replaced the MAF and put the sound deadeners back in and it never happened again.

#7 later_Peter

later_Peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Central Oregon

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

I had this problem (a while back) with a Datsun PickUp Truck... spark plug wires.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,250 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Spark plugs + wires or maybe a Cam Position sensor.

All 3 are easy to swap out to check.

#9 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,594 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

You can actually take a hose with a light mist and work your way around the engine compartment. Also do it UNDER the engine too kaing sure to get the engine temp sensor wire, and the cam and crank position wires

#10 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

Wire harness beside the battery in the fender well about 4 inch from fuse box is my gess broken or coroded wire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users