Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rays Brat

Mundog64

I plan to get it running really solid and just drive it. I've never enjoyed a vehicle with an mpg above 15 so I'm excited to save money in that area. I have limited mechanical skills but this car seems to be very simple to maintain. It will be my commuter and I hope to be driving it by Christmas this year. By the way, my daily commute is only 25 miles total per day.

Ray

Edited by Mundog64

• 2 weeks later...

My plan is to put my hitachi carburator back together tonight. I'll keep you posted on that.

I'd like to share more information on my EA81

Brat. The P.O passed away in 2008 and the Brat was parked and not driven as of 2010. I spotted it in my neighbors driveway about a year ago and asked if it was for sale. The neighbor said it would be soon and that I would get the first opportunity to buy it. i finally got the call and I looked over the car briefly. I reasearched it here in USMB and discovered that

It is a gem. They wanted $1700 bucks and I said I'll take it. The odometer says 175K, has zero body rot, no cracks in dash, original radio and cassette player as well as A/C. Very nice gray interior, jump seat and a camper shell.

The car started but I did not drive it since it had obvious carb issues that need to be addressed.

It has a 5 speed transmission with a push button on 4wd. The D/R lever on the center conse was removed and in the bed Of the brat.

I looked and did not see the linkage on the transmission that I indictates it's a D/R

I've been wondering since I bought it if I even have 4WD. Does anyone know how I can check that?

Thanks in advance

Ray

Edited by Mundog64

Welp, I put the carb back together

and set it in place. It's 1am here in Southern California and I have to get to work in a few hours so the brat will have to wait until after work.

I will bolt the carb in place, connect the ten hoses, replace the spark plugs and pour some

Coolant in it too. I'll post some pics of it if it's drivable. Thanks for looking.

G'day,

Nice Brat you got yourself there. With the gearbox I would say that it has been replaced with a 5spd all wheel drive box from a later model. Or possibly a gearbox from a front wheel drive loyale. To check I would get down & look at the back of the gearbox & see if there is a driveshaft that will run down the centre of the car to the rear diff.

Hope this helps you work it out.

Cheers Jake

Edited by Rodeo4jake

• 4 weeks later...

P/B=Push button 4WD. It would be on the stick shift unless they relocated it some where else and it wouldn't have a 4wd lever since it only would have 4wd high. If its a 4 or 5 speed dual range it will have the 4wd lever which will have 4wd high and low. The best way to find out wheather its a 4 or 5 speed is to play with it to see if it goes into 5 or 6 different gears.

Here is where the gears would be:

5 speed  1   3  5

2   4  R

4 speed  1   3  

2   4  R

Edited by turbosubarubrat

P/B=Push button 4WD. It would be on the stick shift unless they relocated it some where else and it wouldn't have a 4wd lever since it only would have 4wd high. If its a 4 or 5 speed dual range it will have the 4wd lever which will have 4wd high and low. The best way to find out wheather its a 4 or 5 speed is to play with it to see if it goes into 5 or 6 different gears.

5 speed 1 3 5

2 4 R

4 speed 1 3

2 4 R

5 speed 1 3 5

2 4 R

4 speed 1 3

2 4 R

Thank you very much turbosubarubrat. I see!

I was worried that I may have a fwd 5 speed

And not a 4wd. There's hope that I may have a 5 speed, 4wd high only which would be awesome.

I do have the button and the one thru

5 gears. The original dual range lever was removed so now it all makes sense. Thank you again

Ray

• 5 weeks later...

Hi fellows, my.85' Brag should be ready For

Pick from the shop on Monday. Once the carb issue was resolved it ran for 15 and it sprang a leak, overheated and my guy shut it down. Water in the oil bla bla bla. I'm getting a new water pump thermostat, hoses and the radiator is remove which is getting cleaned and repaired. Head gaskets replaced and new starter.

I'm looking forward to driving it. I'll call it's winter car. Peace fellows

Ray