Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rays Brat

Mundog64

The speedometer cable may not be installed on the speedometer drive correctly.

You can see where it attaches to the drive if you stick your head under the dash. I find it easier to do so if I remove the seat first.

Pair of long needle nose pliers work wonders for putting the cable where it's supposed to be.

The speedometer cable may not be installed on the speedometer drive correctly.

You can see where it attaches to the drive if you stick your head under the dash. I find it easier to do so if I remove the seat first.

Pair of long needle nose pliers work wonders for putting the cable where it's supposed to be.

appreciate the help.  i'm going out to the driveway now to see if its something i can fix.  i put over 100 miles on it yesterday just running around the South Bay and Orange County.  best therapy ever. 

I feel a bit guilty not reporting back quicker on my subaru experience. I could not fix my speedometer issue but I'll press on. Right now I'm concerned with a ripped boot on the front passenger side. Cost me about the same as I paid for the car to get it in running condition and I'm pretty pleased that I have not gone over my imaginary budget limit yet.. Driveway pictures to come as I pause and decide the best next repair on the Brat and save up for the same.

I love my brat. Its putin' along with only a few issues. Needs to pass CA emmissions, a torn boot and the odometer must get fixed. The minor issues are only cosmetic such as topper glass, reupholster seats and protect it from future rust. My work parking lot is only a stones throw from the pacific ocean so my goal is to get it ready by summer 2014

post-49780-0-52752400-1388812695_thumb.jpg

post-49780-0-95533200-1388812748_thumb.jpg

Go under and see if it has a drive line if it does its 4wd. I'm guessing it is because it has a push button for it on the shifter off a 85 and up dl or loyale.

The driveline is there but theres a cable with a diaphram looking part in the engine compartment just zip tied disconnected that may be why its not engaging in 4wd. Appreciate the comment Turbosubarubrat

Since you in CA you should have a ECM bolted on to the steering rack under the dash. Is the ECS light blinking or stays on? You should be able to see it flash through the crack in between the dash and the cover by the pedals. If you can't find it take off the plastic cover 2 screws and its off. It only flashes when the ECS light stays on, 1 long blink =10 and 1 short blink =1 so add blinks together and there is a 1.5 second poss in between codes if there is more than one. If you don't have a book a can tell you what the code means.

Since you CA you should have a ECM bolted on to the steering rack under the dash. Is the ECS light blinking or stays on? You should be able to see it flash through the crack in between the dash and the cover by the pedals. If you can't find it take off the plastic cover 2 screws and its off. It only flashes when the ECS light stays on, 1 long blink =10 and 1 short blink =1 so add blinks together and there is a 1.5 second poss in between codes if there is more than one. If you don't have a book a can tell you what the code means.

I will definitly need your help with the codes once I get under there and check hopefully this weekend. Thanks TurboSubarubrat

Edited by Mundog64

The code is for the ignition pulse system. Book says to check the number 18 terminal on the ECM plug with a multimeter. example of plug

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11

If its connection is good on the plug and the ECM terminal is not bent/broken the ECM needs replaced. If the connection is bad repair harness.

• 2 weeks later...

The code is for the ignition pulse system. Book says to check the number 18 terminal on the ECM plug with a multimeter. example of plug

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

If its connection is good on the plug and the ECM terminal is not bent/broken the ECM needs replaced. If the connection is bad repair harness.

I appreciate the info. I need to buy or borrow a multimeter then learn how to use it. I did visual and #18 wire connection and no obvious issues.

My temporary permit expires 1-31 so Ca emissions and my ecs light issues are pretty high on the priority list of repairs.

Im hoping the ecs light resolves the ca emissions issue.

I had the opportunity to verify the mpg while driving to and from Disneyland via all highway and came up with 24.4 mpg.

I thought it was great considering its in default mode.

Oh, can anyone identify my rear brake set up? Please. I priced brake pads and was told that my 1985 Brat should have drums not disc.post-49780-0-32730300-1390379847_thumb.jpg

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

hey there guys and gals, followed these directions and I cleared my ECS light. After removing the computer I could not believe what I saw. My #18 prong was completly bent. I gently straitened it out and reset it. I drove around and its GONE.

I cant thank you enough.

Pic of 2 EA82 5-speeds. D/R on the right, P/B one on the left.

EA825speeds.jpg

Tomrhere, would you happen to have a picture of what my speedometer cable should look like.  i ensured connection at the dash and looked at the end that connects to the transmission.  i'm not sure if it is the correct one.  i need to buy one if anyone 

has one they can spare.  thanks

My temporary permit expires 1-31 so Ca emissions and my ecs light issues are pretty high on the priority list of repairs.

Im hoping the ecs light resolves the ca emissions issue.

I had the opportunity to verify the mpg while driving to and from Disneyland via all highway and came up with 24.4 mpg.

I thought it was great considering its in default mode.

Oh, can anyone identify my rear brake set up? Please. I priced brake pads and was told that my 1985 Brat should have drums not disc.attachicon.gif20140120_223731.jpg

sorry to press guys and gals.  i'm trying to buy brake pads for the rear of my brat and need your help identifying the year make and model they are from.  thanks in advance

ray 

Glad i could help. You can see the speedometer cable on the transmission on the left in the pic above wrapped around in the middle. This is the same transmission you have too. The end of the cable has a bolt shape to it so you use a wrench or a pair of vise grips to unscrew it, but first you need to pull the rest out from under the dash through the fire wall. The rear disk pads could be off anything with a ea82t (ea82 turbo/1800 turbo) 85-94 so gl-10, rx, loyale and possibly some xt or xt-6(not positive on those) some non-turbos had them but its just easier to say 88 gl-10 like the other poster said since they will find it easier at the parts storehttp://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3drear%2bpads%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26N%3d599001%2b101987%2b50068%2b2068009.