Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Next level for OBS, SJR lift?

blk99obs

I'm back, and ready to continue!

So far the 4.11 gears, Foz lift, and 27x8.5/14 tires have been a blast!

What I'd like to do now is go a little bit higher on the body, and wider on the track width.

I have a few questions regarding both of those mods.

When I increase my track width, how much body lift do I need in order to
have my tires not scrub the fenders when the suspension is compresed?

What is the best way to go about track width increases? I have read that
spacers tend to blow out wheel bearings, and I've also read that we can
use WRX bits to increase track width.

Being a noob to body lifts, I understand that you need to lengthen the steering
shaft, and I'm guessing that is done by cutting it, and then sticking a
pipe in the middle to sleeve over each end, then welding. How about
shift linkages, brake lines, clutch line, and sway bars?

Ideally I'm looking to go anywhere between 2-6 inches up on the body, and maybe
an inch wider for track width. The idea being to try to retain current
cornering ability or even improve it a bit, and try to go a bit higher
while I'm at it. I'm very much opposed to cutting my fenders, though
rolling them wouldn't be out of the question. 

I'm really liking the look of wagonryan, and tron's lifts. I notice ryan
has cut his fenders, but is also running much larger tires than me by
the look of it, and tron has maybe a little bigger tires and no cuts on the fenders,

though its hard to say if his track width is increased.

Any advice would be much appreciated, and I'd also like to know what SJR would charge

for a D/R swap, if I brought my car up there for a weekend or something to do it.

post-32633-0-54466800-1380961971_thumb.jpg

Edited by blk99obs

Welcome.   A great deal of time was spent putting together the FAQ at the top of the forum.  There is alsa a "how to lift my impreza" sticky, as well as a "how big of a tire will fit" sticky.  Give those a read, your questions have been answered.  

cheers.

Welcome.   A great deal of time was spent putting together the FAQ at the top of the forum.  There is alsa a "how to lift my impreza" sticky, as well as a "how big of a tire will fit" sticky.  Give those a read, your questions have been answered.  

cheers.

I've given every bit of the FAQ a read, thank you, these are my questions having read the FAQ. I'm not asking how big of a tire will fit, per se since I already have tires. What I'm essentially asking is, how much wider can I go on track width before my tires will start running into the bottom edge of the fenders, and then if my tires are going to hit the fenders, how high will the body need to go for them to no longer hit when the suspension is compressed? I'd also like to know if body lifting drops the sway bar mounting points, or otherwise allows for the sway bars to be retained.

Edited by blk99obs

Spacers are fine. I beat Stella with some 1"ers on her.

If you are actually using your car, I would build my own lift. Hell, you can buy a grinder , the steel, and a small drill press for what he charges. Plus yours will be more stout.

cheers

Thanks! Stella was my original inspiration!

If you like driving your car fast then don't lift it any higher than it is now.  With a body lift above 2" you are NOT going to improve or retain your cornering ability.  

The spot you are going to rub on is not so much the fenders but the inner wheel well.  My track with is increased an 1" per side and I still rub with only 235/75/15's.

If you are actually using your car for off road then the sway bars are counter productive.   You can't do this with sway bars attached.

IMG_1384-M.jpg

Hi there, If you do a 6" body lift there is no need to cut fenders like I have, you can run 235's if you bash the hell out of the inner fenders. I have just stopped rubbing completely. took a lot of hammering. As for buying vs building a lift. If you are a decent welder, you can do it all yourself. if you arent a welder, but have a drill press and a cutting saw you can build the subframe spacers yourself and save a couple hundred bucks. 

Ive been having constant problems with my suspension geometry, breaking part after part, so I'm getting new wheels with lower offset and lowering the car 2 inches to make it MORE reliable. Still will have more clearance than most SUVs. 

If you want to be able to rip around gravel roads don't lift it. sway bars will just hold you back if you do though.

Lol...you funny Zap.  Making me jealous by showing me pics of my dream grocery getter. Love the look of those rims over stock.:drool:

First time I went down Lower Mainline at Walker with my sway bar still attached I snapped the C-Links.  Decided then that the extra hassle of pinning them up each time wasn't worth it if I had to replace them each time I forgot.

• Like 1