Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Before and After I had my carburetor rebuilt.

I use to think carbs were rocket science... but I dont hesitate a second to tear into one these days. About the only part of a car I haven't been through yet in an auto trans (and facing the price of the rebuild for my Suburban I'm considering it :-\ ). Its amazing what you can learn to fix when you cant aford to pay somebody to do it.

As to your cold start/high idle adjustment, (as stated in my orginal post in this thread :-p ), there is a independant adjustment screw that acts on the fast idle cam, once the choke is full open the normal idle screw takes over. If I had my manual here I would scan the page for you, but if you look at the mechanism you will find it. Along with adjusting the throttle opening (high idle screw) you can also fine tune the timming of the fast idle cam (earler or later in the choke cycle) by tweeking the linkage rod between the cam and the ckoke mechanism.

Hope this helps

Gary

I had my subaru transmission rebuilt at 190,000 miles by an expert. The car is now at 257,000 miles and the transmission still runs better now than when I originally bought the car at around 80-90 thousand miles back in 1988.

I was very fortunate to use a mechanic who actually races cars, he knew who to send the tranny to for the rebuild and they really did an incredible job. I just don't see how a newbie could do as good a job as the work that I paid an expert to do.

So was my tranny rebuild expensive? I don't remember what I paid. I'm pretty sure it was under $600.00. Was it under $500.00, or $400.00, that I don't remember. However, based on 67,000 thousand miles of driving at $600.00, (and the tranny appears to still be in great shape,) my cost per thousand miles of driving is under $10.00. (and dropping :banana: )

Is $10.00 (and dropping) per thousand miles of driving really too expensive? Plus, I didn't have to spend time doing the rebuild. :banana:

Now, having said that, the very first car I ever owned I did a ton of taking apart and putting back together, so I understand that concept for those of you who love your subarus. I just don't want to risk making a dumb mistake on my favorite car.

I'd rather pay an expert to maintain the complex problems and hopefully the time that frees up in my life I can put into work, and come up with the money (and then some) to pay for work done by an expert that I did not have to do.

I've had a RooBuilders carb on my '83 for a couple of years now. I replaced the old one because of the throttle shaft problem mentioned above. Highly recommended rebuilders. Only problem is my fault: I've got two of the hoses hooked up wrong, hopefully someone at WCSS can identify which ones need to be switched so I can make the repair:-\ .

Don't forget to look under your hood, you may have a printed diagram of your whole carburetor system. I had the carburetor diagram on the inside of my hood but just plain forget to check it until I took the car to someone else, and then suddenly I noticed the diagram! :-\