Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Source for rear inner fender wells? '84 Brat

I have some in pretty good shape on an '82 brat I'm parting out. I could probably cut them out for you if I can find the tool to do so (in the middle of a partial move). Let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I can do.

If they're not too bad, you might also consider cutting out the holes and welding in sheet metal. You can see pictures of how I did it on my '86 brat in the link in my signature.

best of luck!

I have tried to do just that for a UK based BRAT - failed. This task is not easy as I started to discover just how rugged these units are - the strength centres around the rear tubs. I used the 1.00mm thick 4" hand held grinder cutting discs, and quite a few.

Be mindful of the fuel filler pipe and KABOOM chances ! There is extra reinforcement in there. If you are gonna try cut them out , I would suggest from experience - try cutting the outer rear guard skin off first so you can see wht you are dealing with.

My attempt was made worse - wrong time of day - no shade under burning hot sun - only power came from a generator. Redback spiders and brown snake territory (of 21 top most venomous snakes in the world - we have 18 of them :( ) were other risks on mind

I have some in pretty good shape on an '82 brat I'm parting out. I could probably cut them out for you if I can find the tool to do so (in the middle of a partial move). Let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I can do.

If they're not too bad, you might also consider cutting out the holes and welding in sheet metal. You can see pictures of how I did it on my '86 brat in the link in my signature.

best of luck!

Thanks for the offer. I finished painting the exterior a couple years ago and have not been in much of a hurry to finish the inside of the bed. I appreciate the offer but its not really worth the effort if your in the middle of a move. I'll just keep my ears open for something or maybe try to fabricate a patch on my own.  If don't figure something else out in the next few months I may hit you up again.  :drunk:

I have tried to do just that for a UK based BRAT - failed. This task is not easy as I started to discover just how rugged these units are - the strength centres around the rear tubs. I used the 1.00mm thick 4" hand held grinder cutting discs, and quite a few.

Be mindful of the fuel filler pipe and KABOOM chances ! There is extra reinforcement in there. If you are gonna try cut them out , I would suggest from experience - try cutting the outer rear guard skin off first so you can see wht you are dealing with.

My attempt was made worse - wrong time of day - no shade under burning hot sun - only power came from a generator. Redback spiders and brown snake territory (of 21 top most venomous snakes in the world - we have 18 of them :( ) were other risks on mind

I don't like spiders and snakes....particularly poisonous ones.  I wouldn't even have attempted that there.