Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1980 Brat GL rebuild thread

Kevint143

So last night I put the EUL headers I built a while back for the Green BRAT on the red BRAT and modified it a bit. it is running 2 inch pipe from block all the way back with two glasspacks. Its so quiet at idle now but has a nice rumble when you get on it! Sorry for the horrible quality video.
http://vimeo.com/89166580

Edited by Kevint143
  • Like 1

13398227334_f5edf9e920.jpg

Untitled by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

So last night I couldn't sleep and my daughter wanted to hang so I let her stay up late and help me swap the intake manifold from green brat since it had my weber on it and put it on the red brat. In the process I am not confident I hooked my vacuum lines up right. Can someone snap a photo of your weber set up for all the vacuum lines?

Edited by Kevint143
  • Like 1

So I have been struggling the past few nights. I put the weber on and now I can't get the car to start. I have fuel its getting spark but I think my timing is way off. The car will crank but won't start I have gone through all the processes I can think of to check for fuel and spark and they have all been positive. I can't time it until it starts does anyone have any suggestions?

Same thing happened to me. Back to basics1.) set engine to TDC, 2.) align dist gear and shaft and lower into position 3.) confirm rotor is pointing at #1 4.)recheck gaps, 5.) run plug wires. 6.) check coil is hooked up properly (if not replace burnt fuse).

I'll send you a pic of vacuum lines but should just be vac advance and PCV (into filter) other lines are coolant.

Edited by tundrabrat

That's exactly what I ended up doing tundra and got it started first turn of the key. At tdc I was at #2 on cap/rotor adjusted that and we are good to go! But was test driving it and blew a coolant hose so off to the parts store for a new one!

• Like 1

So last night I put the EUL headers I built a while back for the Green BRAT on the red BRAT and modified it a bit. it is running 2 inch pipe from block all the way back with two glasspacks. Its so quiet at idle now but has a nice rumble when you get on it! Sorry for the horrible quality video.
http://vimeo.com/89166580

This sounds amazing. Got any more info on this custom EUL header you made? If I can get the Brat to sound like my sti, it would make me a happy camper. :)

Edited by spicypeanut

http://vimeo.com/91383158

quick video of the latest exhaust set up. This was a cold start after sitting for two days. I didn't let it warm up because I was just parking it on the street and didn't want to make the garage smell like brat exhaust. I can't stop tweaking with it ha...going to throw something else together soon

Edited by Kevint143

• 4 months later...