Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ea81 OIL PAN REMOVAL AND INSTALL HELP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 noob2soob22

noob2soob22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Marshall, MI

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

Hey all,

Getting ready to swap oil pans tommarrow just wondering if anyone has any advice on the approach, and also what's the tightening sequence and torque spec's for these?

I searched and searched to no avail, or I woudn't post useless rubbish,

Chris W.

#2 belacane

belacane

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • New Orleans, LA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

there isn't much to it... just unscrew, put in new gasket, and screw back on.

As for tightening sequence, the general rule is from the center outwards... so  the ones closest to the corners will be the last ones you tighten. 

#3 noob2soob22

noob2soob22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Marshall, MI

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

thanks, I figured it would be, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into some common headache that could be avoided along the way.

#4 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

I dont even bother using the oil pan gasket since they always seem to start to leak after a while then get progressively worse, so i just use rtv by putting two coats on the two mating surfaces which holds up a lot better.

#5 81EA81

81EA81

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Spokane,WA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

I would recommend using a quality PH2 size phillips screwdriver to remove the oil pan bolts. 

Conveniently,there are access holes through the cross member for the bolts at the rear of the pan.

#6 Skylar

Skylar

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Puyallup, Wa

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

I would recommend using a quality PH2 size phillips screwdriver to remove the oil pan bolts. Conveniently,there are access holes through the cross member for the bolts at the rear of the pan.

10mm all the way ... I put a deep 10 on my Craftsman electric impact gun, easiest removal ever .

#7 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

+1 on the rtv, but make sure it's ultra grey. It's factory sealant for a lot of manufacturers and great stuff. Also make sure everything is clean and dry. Use brake clean on a shop towel to wipe down both surfaces before application. This is not a situation where if a little is good, more is better. You don't want it squirting out inside, breaking loose when it hardens and then blocking off the oil screen. Also, tightening from the inside out doesn't apply to gaskets such as oil pan, valve cover, etc.... You tighten them in a cris-cross pattern a little at a time (in steps) until tight. This keeps even pressure on the gasket and keeps it from kinking or slipping out. Whenever possible, I try to give the ultra grey 24 hours to cure before adding oil and running it. Guaranteed seal, but it can be applied and ran right after. It's common practice at repair shops.

#8 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

Ive used the factory style oil pan gasket in resealing my EA81s in the past and never ran into a oil leak after.  Clean both the engine and the oil pan very well.   Apply RTV black or grey to both sides of the oil pan gasket and let it tack up a bit.  Assemble.  You will be golden for leaks.  The RTV helps to keep the gasket from drying out.  The same procedure can be used for the valve cover gaskets which are also cork.  

#9 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

5 Nm of torque I think is non factory manual recommendation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users