Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trident's 1986 GL 4WD Wagon

Trident

Last night I stripped the unneeded vacuum lines, emission components & Hitachi carb off the manifold. The engine compartment is looking way better already! The vacuum plug kit I purchased from AutoZone didn't have nearly enough 5/16" plugs unfortunately. I'll need to go back today and grab a pack of 5/16" only.

I used a fast cure epoxy from Bowman to seal the coolant passage on top of the manifold. It's Bowman part # 22023 but it's manufactured by 3M. I work in the trucking industry & our techs swear by the stuff. I'll go back today and sand it flat, ready for the TransDapt 2107 & gasket to go on. As far as the other 2 coolant passages (front of manifold & crossover pipe) I need to seal, haven't decided how I'm going to do it yet. Maybe just run a new hose between the 2....

I've decided to use the EGR and plug the ASV........we'll see how that goes.

The TransDapt 2107 mounted....

v1uOKMK.jpg

Used this to seal the coolant passage. Sets up quick & working well

haUNOk7.jpg

Used this sealer on the gaskets for a little extra insurance

0FNYzYx.jpg

Weber mounted & PCV lines.....getting closer

LEH6tyf.jpg

And here she is buttoned up. I pretty much mirrored kanurys' set up on the PCV routing. I don't have a catch can set up currently, but I'll probably have to soon.

zmE31X9.jpg

Quick rundown of the Weber install and where I stand:

Weber 32/36 DGEV installed

Vacuum consists of the usual

- Distributor advance (single port)

- Heater control

- brake booster

- 4wd vacuum line (I think?)

Misc.

-EGR & ASV disconnected. No quarter trick performed yet on ASV

-Fuel return line & tank vent line disconnected at metal lines near firewall

- Electric choke hooked up

- Fuel mixture set at 2 turns out, idle speed set to 7-800 rpms

Now for the problem...the car starts up quickly and idles , BUT I'm getting a constant popping back the carb throughout the rpm range. No adjustment of the distributor changes it so I'm thinking I've got it one tooth off?

If anybody sees anything in my pics or post here that may lead you to check something else first, please speak up :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

1st long term update :)

I've put about 4,000 mi on the Subaru since spring and just returned from a 1,300mi trip to WV to raft the upper Gauley river. Hauled me, a friend and all our gear with nary a whimper. I am burning a little less than 1/2 qt every 500 miles.

A month ago I did end up taking the dash out to hopefully finish off what the mice had started so long ago.

Mounted a Pioneer mechless deck which has worked flawlessly as well.