Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange symptom

So, I'm going down the road pretty much flat out in 4th or 5th, engine WFO under full load at 3500 to 4k, when suddenly the engine goes flat and a huge oil cloud bursts fourth from the exhaust. "Oh spoob", I'm thinking, "holed a piston, or sucked a valve" In just that amount of time, it quits smoking and the engine regains power, and I'm off.

This happens once about every 2 months, sucks a big glop of oil, spits it out, keeps on going.  WTF?  Anybody ever heard of this?  How can the engine suddenly suck in a bunch of oil all in a lump, then not do  it again for a couple of months?

Usually it is due to a Problem with the Positive Crankcase Ventilation Setup & PCV Valve.

More info on your Engine model, if it is EFi or Carb will Help to give the Proper answer.

But if it is Carb'd, then it could be a Stuck Open PCV Valve,

if it is EFi, there is a Factory Re-route Kit for the PCV setup,

That prevents such Symptom.

Kind Regards.

I had similar problems in my "BumbleBeast" and I had to install an Oil Catch Can between the Drivers' side Head Hose and the PCV Valve; follow this Link for more info:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114260-oil-catch-can-in-ea82/page-2

There are Photos and Details of the PCV Re-Routing on EFi Models as well.

Kind Regards.