Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I notice it only really happens when the car is facing uphill and at idle. As soon as the car engine speed goes up it goes back down. Now the upper radiator hose seems like it has too much pressure in the hose. Not sure if it's because of my radiator cap since a part of the rubber that goes around the spring part ripped in one area.

are you shure car hot after fans have cycled rev to 3500-4500 let off and watch for bubbles in overflow tank any ? no next step new radcap mabe thermostat but if car has more than 200000kms on it and heads have not been done then very good chance headgaskets are going. Or pluged rad or seizing waterpump stuck thermostat but most likly headgasket

surfaced heads ? had a set yesterday had been surfaced with orbital grinder had badly been cleaned and dident seal had only 3000kms on them and leaking badly how was the block on the lower fire ring on #3 and #4 cly ? if anealed to badly will not seal well. is it posibble just low on coolant or air traped in coolant sestem

I agree, try burping the air pocket again. Fill by the upper hose, and remove the little bleeder screw on the opposite end of the rad to fill from the cap.

If your cap is boogered, replace it with an oem unit. The cap is one variable that could be your problem. If it is not holding pressure, some of the coolant bmay be boiling over pushing coolant out, and then you get an air pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow sorry to read that.  To be honest from the very first post that is what was in the back of my mind that it was HG.

So what are you going to do?   Are you going to get it fixed?  Seems like HG technology has come a long way with the MLS gaskets from a number of vendors

I guess you haven't been here long enough.. these are the replacement head gaskets.. it's been almost like 3 years since I last did it.. I suspect the rod bearings was enough to cause the misfire codes and wear whatever part out of spec.. not that I really care.

I'm switching to a Ej22 with my ej25d heads on the motor because I'm planning for something in the early spring.. I highty doubt the block can be saved.