Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Heat - 85 Wagon

Hello everyone,

been away for a few months.  Mom passed away on June 30.  

So just getting back into my Subies.   The 85 wagon heat stopped working.  Problem started when I noticed that the temperature selection slide mechanism on the dash did not go all the way up to 'hot'.  It seemed to be blocked by something.   So I found the cable connection down by the driver gas pedal.  The cable activates a thing-a-ma-jig.   I moved the thing-a- ma-jig by hand, more towards the firewall (ie., more hot)... and then heard a popping sound like plastic breaking. 

Does anyone know what that cable is actually moving?  Is it something in the duct work or something on/in the heater core?     The dash slide switch lever now moves all the way to 'hot'.   But I still have no heat.  Just blows cold air.

Any insight would be appreciated.   Thanks.   Ron w.

• Like 1

Cable operates a gearset that is hooked to the flapper door in the ducting that controls how much air goes over the heater core.

Go back to the bottom of the cable, and check to see if the gears that are operated by the cable are still engaged to eachother, and can move in full range of motion.

If that is not the problem, then you may need to pull the selector cluster and see if the cable housing has pulled out of it's mounting.

Very well.  Thank you, GLoyale.   

I'll check the gears down there.  The cable still moves the mechanism near the firewall.   So, it must be the gears directing the flapper door.

I wish I was closer to Corvallis.  But, I still make it down there a few times/year.   Take care.

Cable operates a gearset that is hooked to the flapper door in the ducting that controls how much air goes over the heater core.

Go back to the bottom of the cable, and check to see if the gears that are operated by the cable are still engaged to eachother, and can move in full range of motion.

If that is not the problem, then you may need to pull the selector cluster and see if the cable housing has pulled out of it's mounting.

So the ea82 body style rigs don't use a heater core valve down by the accelerator pedal like the ea81 body style? 

I thought the flapper doors were to direct air flow to the various outlet ducts and the amount of heat was generated by the amount of coolant allowed to pass through the heater core. 

Update... I crawled under the driver side and found (with my fingers) a secondary 'cable' that when I pull it - I hear a flapper moving within the duct work.

So, that 'cable' came loose from the white plastic gears.  So, can anyone tell me how/where to re-attach that cable?  It seems to want to attach behind the white plastic gears.    Anyone with a diagram?  Or photo?

Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.  Just wish I had a lift... cause I feel like a pretzel trying to get my head (eyes) and hands on the subject while holding a flashlight... ha!

Let me know...   Ron w.

I went through this very thing on my 85 wagon. No the rod is not threaded. I remember i spent 10 minutes trying to get it off by turning it. The whole process was a real pain. It actually splits and has a little latch that keeps it closed.. I spent the better part of an hour fighting the one on my parts car till i just broke stuff to get it out. Hopefully i saved you some time laying on your back.

Edited by AKghandi