Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange clutch/transmission problem. Broken clutch disk. Not worn, broken.

I am new to the site so forgive me if I breached some etiquette by posting before introducing myself. I own a 1996 Subaru Outback Legacy and I recently brought it to the shop to have the clutch replaced. It was making a grinding noise that me and the mechanic both thought was the throw out bearing. So I got a new kit and had him replace it. When I showed up he showed the that the part of the disk that mounts to the transmission and holds the pads on had actually SNAPPED off. He reassembled it with the new clutch kit anyway and we took it for a test drive. The grinding noise had become much worse. So, that is where I am at. He thinks it is the bearing that guides the input shaft. I am very interested in your opinions and advice. The input shaft makes sense to me. Does anyone near Bend know of any parts around? What do you think I need? What do you think the problem is? Give me your thoughts.

Edited by Sturgeon88

Did he check the input shaft for play?  I just dropped a trans out of an 01 Forester the inner hub of the clutch disk was completely severed from  the outer disk.  The shop that surfaces my flywheels said it looked like someone downshifted at high speed.  

The input shaft to the trans also had lots of fore and aft play.  Used Trans going in along with a new Clutch Kit.

It's probably the main shaft bearing. When they get bad enough it lets the input shaft wobble all around and slide back/forth too much. Causes the center hub of the clutch disc to break.

Easy way out is to replace the trans. The bearing is only about $50, but it takes a few hours to disassemble and reassemble the trans and put the new bearing in.

Exactly my problem Imdew. Im soft on my car but it shows that symptom. I've lost 3rd and 4th so the tran is shot. Do you think a used transmission is the way to go? I'll check the local yards, but do you have any other ideas of where to look online?

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated.