Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t ecs light is on what should i check?

Ever since i got my wagon running last weekend the ecs light has been on, so what should i check or replace? First thing i can think of is the o2/oxygen sensor. Runs great for sitting since 05 minus a lifter tick that will be adjusted when i change the oil.

hi,  ea81 turbo motor  should have hydrolic lifters which should not need adjusted.  the valve covers  should have a label on them stating the engine has the hydrolic lifters. 

I think it has a code 34, but will double check tomorrow using my camera so i can watch it slowly to aviod miss reading the code.

hi,  ea81 turbo motor  should have hydrolic lifters which should not need adjusted.  the valve covers  should have a label on them stating the engine has the hydrolic lifters. 

That doesn't mean they never need to be adjusted. The sticker is put that on there as a warning so people read up on how to do it if it has to be done so there isn't engine damage.  Plus why would they make it so you can adjust it and give you the measurements and procedures to adjust it in the factory subaru manual? 

The ecs light stays on or off when the engine is running it does different things with different ecms. Sorry i ment terminal #17 on check connector #2 out of the factory subaru manual on chapter 5 page 35. Its the yellow check connector behind the fuse box it should have 17 terminal connectors on it and #17 in the book would actually be #13 if your looking at it in a car.

You need to read codes while the ECS light is on.Don`t bother w/the green connector.

If you are referring to the 1984 FSM,chapter 5 page 35 refers to a non turbo car.

Page 4-58 shows the check connector pinout for turbos

You need to read codes while the ECS light is on.Don`t bother w/the green connector.

If you are referring to the 1984 FSM,chapter 5 page 35 refers to a non turbo car.

Page 4-58 shows the check connector pinout for turbos

I will play around with those connectors tomorrow. It seems the ecs light on this ecm goes on and off while its running if you pull the parking break up or press on the brake pedal. It doesn't flash any codes when the ecs light is off so i can't read them but if i just turn the key to the on position it stays on so thats when i read the codes.

It decided it didn't want to start today :(, its getting juice back to the fuel pump but i will test the pump as soon as i can i hope its not bad. Its still flashing code 11 and 12 but added 33 which went away on its own some how :huh:, also if i pull the ig. coil/fuel fuse out the ecs light goes off so something is wrong with that part of the system which i will start looking. Im taking it's leading to the fuel pump relay under passenger seat. Any chance you know what the relay is close to the fuel pump relay? The fuel pump relay is the one closest to the front passenger door and the other one is a couple inches away from it closer to the console thit is the one im not sure of because i forgot where it goes i just remember there was two relays there.

That is the ignition relay.It supplies power to everything except the ignition.

Not sure which fuse you are pulling.

Fuel pump is on #2 w/the clock and horn.

Ignition coil and ignition relay are on #13.

If you are pulling this one,it is not surprising the ECS light goes out as the ignition relay supplies power to the ECU.

Got it running again :). When i tried to start it again today it acted like it was going to run then nonthing, so i tried again and the fuel pump relay did nothing this time so i checked the fuse which was part of the problem since it had blown. After that i tried again and the relay did nothing still, so i unbolted the passenger seat to check out the relay. I pull the relays out of the rubber holders with the connecters still on then put them back and she started. It came on with a code 33 idleing at 1300rpm's then going up to 1600rpm's and back down then up then down ect. After that i put in another ecm which brought the idle down to 1000rpm's which slowly went down to 750rpm's and stayed there. At 1000rpm's it had a code 33 but after i drove it on are farm for a while it went to a code 24.