Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My NEW gen.... 2004 FXT..... ;-)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

Been looking at these for a WHILE and really never thought I'd get my hands on one... I guess I'll start a thread, because I'm sure over time this thing WILL get meddled with haha.... I'm no noob to soobs OR building cars. Heres a link to my Loyale build thread for an idea of how I like 'em. FINALLY!! found the one I've been looking for. - Members Rides - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For starters. Its a 2004, 5mt, 129,000 miles, bought it at a dealership in Bellevue WA for $7000. They had it advertised for $8900, I called on it cuz I've been looking for one and have been more serious lately. The salesman took my info and I scheduled a time to go look at it. He called me shortly after, said it went thru their shop, and that they couldn't sell it because it didn't pass the mechanical inspection. He said it had a weak clutch, leaky turbo, and smelled like burning oil. I said I didn't care and was still interested. After a lil haggling we settled on the price and I drove it home a few days later. Turns out the car is already on stock WRX springs/struts and has an STI catback.

I put a new Exedy clutch kit, an ACT streetlight FW (bought off a forum for $100 shipped), new front rotors, a full Gates timing kit, new NGK spark plugs, an OEM 06 STI up-pipe, a de-catted 3" SS down pipe (CL score for $25!), and replaced the pass side valve cover seal (the "leaky turbo" haha). I also put 06 STI springs on the front struts which brought the front down a lil more to cure the saggy-butt and give it the rake I like.

Throwing a dart I think I'm into it a total of around $8400 which includes tax/license and all the parts I bought, I installed them myself cuz I'm good like that.....

I intend to address the handling more than anything else, remove x-member spacers, RSB, lateral links, strut tower bars and possibly STI control arms. I'd like to put a VF series turbo, injectors, and a larger top mount too at some point, but for a while it will just be the exhaust and a tune.

Heres a pic

#2 soobie_newbie67

soobie_newbie67

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Kennewick

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

omg. must see more

#3 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

Very nice. I miss mine a lot. A full 6 spd drivetrain and STi everything makes these very fun!

#4 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Looking good!

Next mod needs to be painting or plasti-dipping that C-pillar black. That was one of the first things I did to mine and it helps to give a continuous look along the length of the vehicle.

That random gray chunk just looks out of place.

#5 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

Looking good!

Next mod needs to be painting or plasti-dipping that C-pillar black. That was one of the first things I did to mine and it helps to give a continuous look along the length of the vehicle.

That random gray chunk just looks out of place.

The c-pillar matches the mirrors, and the rear gate garnish, I'm gonna leave it as it is.... Soon it will match the wheels....

Edited by obk25xt, 24 October 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#6 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

So I've done some things.....

Now its got:

Stop sign skid plate!

17x8 wheels with 225/50 tires

STI front springs on WRX struts

STI rear springs/struts

STI 20mm rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, and home made LLWS and heim endlinks

STI catback exhaust (what I thought WAS on it, now IS on it)

And a fresh alignment

PICS...... 

IMG_3853_zpsc0419a1a.jpg

IMG_3982_zpsdc8388db.jpg

IMG_3979_zps247814e2.jpg

IMG_4011_zps94544c8a.jpg

#7 tractor pole

tractor pole

[catch phrase here]

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • Monroe, WA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

Nice work Spencer!

I have a "No Dumping" and a "BUMP" sign that I might copy what you did on my wagon.

#8 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

The c-pillar matches the mirrors, and the rear gate garnish, I'm gonna leave it as it is.... Soon it will match the wheels....

I guess I forgot that I color matched my mirrors and that they used to be that gray color.

I like your Stop sign plate. I used a "Slow Children Playing" sign for the same. Before I installed it though, a friend make a great suggestion to put it reflective side up. Now when I put a light into my engine bay, the highly reflective surface adds nice illumination. The downside to doing it that way is you lose "the look" of the sign under there.

#9 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

OK so lets recap……

Bought the car @ 130,000 miles….

Now has 133,000 miles…..

Things I've done….

ACT Streetlight FW
New Exedy clutch
New valve cover seal
New NGK spark plugs
New Gates T-belt kit
New rotors
New radiator
DIY stop sign skid plate
17x8 ROTA's
New Yokohama's 225/50/17
STI rear sway bar/mounts and DIY LLWS
STI up pipe
STI catback
COBB catted DP 
Accessport
Group N trans mount….

And now…..

New PCV
VF39
STI TMIC
Grimmspeed AOS

This thing is coming along NICELY!!

Parts I HAVE and yet to install:

New oil cooler O-ring
WRX trans mount
Kartboy trans mount bushings
WRX pitchstop
WRX 5mt linkage
WRX driveline
WRX steering joint
Group N engine mounts

Wish list:

Short shifter/bushings
WRX rear subframe
STI lateral links
STI aluminum control arms
STI steering rack

Pics of VF39 install

IMG_4254_zpsb05bd780.jpg

IMG_4256_zps8eb106f3.jpg

IMG_4258_zpsb570e001.jpg

IMG_4257_zps71339a8e.jpg

IMG_4289_zps592a6184.jpg

Edited by obk25xt, 27 November 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#10 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

The VF39 definitely wakes these up. Man I miss mine.

#11 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

The VF39 definitely wakes these up. Man I miss mine.

Yeah like WOW!! Just running the COBB OTS map for it, which claims 285hp/323tq @ the wheels…. I wanna get a pro tune… 300 whp just seems like a good # lol…...

As-is it breaks traction in 2nd…. Def badass…...

#12 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

Get an e-tune by Shamar at Infamous tuning. Absolutely amazing tuner. Gone through him a number of times for a couple different vehicles and multiple setups. He has a way of making a very smooth power delivery. Cobb is spoob compared.

He can tune for Accessport too.

http://legacygt.com/...too-146762.html

Edited by Haight, 28 November 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#13 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Yeah like WOW!! Just running the COBB OTS map for it, which claims 285hp/323tq @ the wheels…. I wanna get a pro tune… 300 whp just seems like a good # lol…...

As-is it breaks traction in 2nd…. Def badass…...

I know, it's fun as hell. Any plans for a 6 speed swap? I loved that in mine as well.

#14 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

I know, it's fun as hell. Any plans for a 6 speed swap? I loved that in mine as well.

It's not even on my wish list yet….. That is $$$$…… Maybe someday…..

#15 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Got tuned today! I guess I'm satisfied I dunno?! 284whp 309 wtq, @ 17lbs. Was HOPING for 300whp, but I am def not upset…… With injectors, TGV deletes, and a turbo inlet I think 300 is doable…. By summer…… 

Blah blah blah pics….. Looks good?

#16 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

Jealous! That's some pretty sweet power.

Every single day I wish that my Forester was a turbo  :(

#17 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Update…

Yesterday I removed the spacers from the engine crossmember, along with swapping the trans crossmember, driveline, pitch stopper, shift linkage and steering knuckle all from a WRX. The shift linkage I got was actually the SPT short shifter assembly, score! I also installed Prothane shifter bushings and Kartboy trans mount bushings. I am still using the stock splitter, I removed the rubber from it and trimmed about 3/8" from the front-most part of the duct so it doesn't interfere with the TMIC. 

First impressions:

Shifter/bushings is a HUGE improvement, super stoked about that. Ground clearance is also a huge bonus, everything is tucked much better now.

Handles much flatter if that makes sense, feels more responsive, and doesn't lift/dive like it did before. It still does a little bit, but it's reduced and is noticeable. Overall the difference is subtle, but definitely an improvement.

Next on the list is the rear subframe and lockdown bolts. I need to gather a few more parts before I jump into that still though. I'm thinking about doing the diff hanger too and doing all the bushings while I'm in there too. I already have the rear diff hanger bushings may as well do the outrigger bushings too, which means the diff support etc. And I'm seriously contemplating getting some STI lateral links…. We'll see….

#18 soobie_newbie67

soobie_newbie67

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Kennewick

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Dude!  Freaking sick you lucky mofo.  Keep up the awesome improvements!

#19 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

New wheels!! 18's & 245's!

Oh yeah, and BREMBOS too….. ;)

IMG_5970_zps7a7bb384.jpg

IMG_5975_zps96e84826.jpg

Edited by obk25xt, 29 July 2014 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users