Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

strut options with more then 8'' of travel.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rockymountain driver

Rockymountain driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Grand Junction, Colorado

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Ok, my 94 impreza has struts from a 97'. I would like to give it a additional lift in just the suspension. Anyone know of a mountable/compatible strut from like Toyota or such that has more travel or stroke?  

#2 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,091 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Too much travel stresses the axles and breaks them.     

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,381 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

depends on exactly how much travel the struts have and where that extra travel went.A bit more down travel necessarily won't destroy axles because there isn't as much weight on the tire, but if you start tucking the tire upwards the weight/force on the axle goes up especially if said tire touches the body work or binds up in some way.

I made some experimental front struts out of VW strut inserts with 8" of stroke,they failed offroad, but they were an interesting experiment.Even with the increase stroke I wasn't able to use that full travel.A stock 80's subaru strut only has about 6.5" of stroke but can really only use about 5",with my setup I was only able to get about 6.5-7" of travel because the coil springs compressed into a solid stack and the bump stop started interfering as well.So to get 8" of travel you would need something like 10" of stroke on a strut.

I measured travel at the strut, wheel travel is a bit more.

Edited by Uberoo, 12 October 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#4 Rockymountain driver

Rockymountain driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Grand Junction, Colorado

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Ok, all that is right on. Thanks for your replies! I figured 8 inches was on the max end and the idea is to go with a progressive coil. Anyone tried  a progressive coil?

#5 Junkie

Junkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • San Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

I was also hoping to find better struts, better in both damping and travel. I've got a 99 OBW so it would be compatible with what you have on your car, but I haven't found anything. 

#6 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 806 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Struts from a 97 Impreza or Outback? If you still have struts that came on an impreza you can get another 3-4 inches of lift by swapping Outback or Forester struts/springs in there. There's a sticky on it that covers most of the info here in the off road section.

Much more lift than that without matching body lift will certainly kill axles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users