Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressure sending unit on ej22

justinthesubie

hey guys!  I tried looking around to see if anyone has put the ea81 oil pressure sending unit on a ej22 motor so it would operate the stock oil pressure gauge in the early 80s models..  I have not had any luck getting this to work properly and really want the stock dash to operate normaly..

im building a 82 brat with the ej22 turbo motor..    thanks for any and all help   :brat:

I tried too when I did my swap. I used brass fittings and copper tubing to adapt out to the stock EA81 oil sending unit.  SO simple and yet I couldn't get it to seal properly. I finally gave up on the stock gauge.  I'm sure it can work somehow, unless the EJ22 oil pressure is killing my EA sending units. It seems like it lasted for about a day or two before something started pouring oil, either the sender, or a coupling.

Edited by Crazyeights

• 2 weeks later...

that looks like it would be good..   I wasn't sure if I was having problems due to direction of the unit... I had mine pointing up near the same spot, seemed to seal alright but the readings were not correct..  was thinking about using a oil filter adaptor..  either way I really want to use the stock gauge if its possible..   thanks guys..   brat is bout done..   building the megasquirt system at the moment.  :banana:

Edited by justinthesubie

A suggestion, if you use teflon tape, get the yellow tape that is rated for hydrocarbon service.  It is typically used in natural gas service, but can be used with oil as well.  Regular white teflon tape will degrade over time when in constant contact with oil.  It may not cause a leak, but it's good to use the yellow stuff so it holds up better.

• 3 years later...

Yes, this is an old thread, gimme a break...

Does anyone know if the bracket holding the EA81 oil pressure sending unit (attached to the blue anodized adapter) to the alternator bracket in the photo below is a factory part or one that HatchMonster88 made himself?  I blasted past an image of something that looked VERY similar in an unrelated internet search earlier today and can't place it.

post-3495-0-83954500-1381802176.jpg