Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thrown Rod?

Yep, Here's how NOT to do intake gaskets -I think the goo is all that's left. With any luck I'll be back running this afternoon.

I am betting this is the extent of it. Never had this issue in all my Suby years. Maybe I freaked out a little, but better safe...

Thanks to the Forum for all the help!!! :headbang:

post-33119-0-72104600-1381857379_thumb.jpg

post-33119-0-94461900-1381857426_thumb.jpg

Well I put the new gaskets in, changed thermostat while I was there. Has a nasty Tick or hammering sound still coming from p-side. Still burning coolant. Especially at low RPMs. Was rocking pretty hard on first start, cleaned up the disty cap & it smoothed out. Don't know if that was an issue or it was just getting oil back in it.

Other than that it's running fine... :(  :confused:

It will take a bit of time to clear the coolant out of the exhaust, depends on amount that's in the exhaust system, and how much may still be in the cylinder.

Did you swap out the plugs that had coolant on them, or just clean them? Have had some plugs that wouldn't fire after being drowned in coolant.

I had a GL10 turbo that had the white smoke. The cause was cracked cylinder heads. The white smoke will dissipate because it is actually water vapor. The engine will stop smoking once you burn up enough of your coolant to prevent any further circulation to your water pump and nothing can reach the cracks. I don't recall weather it had cracks between the intake and exhaust valves or cracks in the fin at the exhaust port, between cylinder exhaust channels. The engine will run rough with the crack between the valves. The crack in the fins does not affect combustion.

Edited by scoobiedubie

I am wondering if the intake gasket leaking caused a cylinder to hydrolock, thus bending a rod.

So the hammering would be bent rod against cylinder wall? Sounds like a good theory based on what is known. Took almost a full gallon to get coolant topped off, so the cylinders certainly got a bath if not filled. It still seems to be getting coolant from somewhere, so there could be a crack or HG or both.

This motor is about to become bench meat, -I'll probably tear it down over the winter. I will report back my findings for anyone curious and to give this thread completion.