Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spider Manifold EA82T: timing marks

I'm installing an EA82T Spider manifold into my 88 Touring Wagon.

The engine didn't come with any accessories like power steer pump, Aircon compressor, alternator.

The XT stuff is difficult to come by here in Aus, so I'm aiming to swap all of the pulleys over from my existing engine.

I know this involves changing the water pump over also.

But my question is about the crank pulley.

The XT version has a balancer and timing marks on it, the wagon version doesn't because the timing marks are on the flywheel.

Does the spider manifold engine still have timing marks on the flywheel, or am I going to need to get my V belt pulley modified?

The hole in that logic is that there was a lot of extra work done to fit the EA82 under the bonnet (hood) of an XT vs the L series/Loyale.

But I agree that it's only really the spider manifold that has the problem the relocated throttle body, which causes access issues for the timing mark hole on the back of the engine. So this might be a sufficiently small number that they left the marks on the flywheel.

I'll try to spin the engine over and check for the marks, but this is a bit hard to do by myself :P

flywheels on spiders I have had, came with standard EA82 timing marks and belt align marks on the flywheel. just think it is harder to read flywheel so they produced the marker plate bolted to the water pump. Pointer NLA exJapan either. If you are just adding the manifold , the pulleys don't need swapping over surely ? Spider bellhousings are different to EA82 and EA82T non spider- to the keen eye . Timing marks are on the pointer plate, one cut on the pulley

Edited by jono

The hole in that logic is that there was a lot of extra work done to fit the EA82 under the bonnet (hood) of an XT vs the L series/Loyale.

But I agree that it's only really the spider manifold that has the problem the relocated throttle body, which causes access issues for the timing mark hole on the back of the engine. So this might be a sufficiently small number that they left the marks on the flywheel.

I'll try to spin the engine over and check for the marks, but this is a bit hard to do by myself :P

There was actually next to no work done for the XT.  Most XTs come with a standard MPFI manifold.  The only difference I have noted is a a different PS reservoir. 

My XT comes with a full complement of flywheel marks, but no guarantee that either its flywheel or its spider are as original.

There was actually next to no work done for the XT.  Most XTs come with a standard MPFI manifold.  The only difference I have noted is a a different PS reservoir. 

My XT comes with a full complement of flywheel marks, but no guarantee that either its flywheel or its spider are as original.

So the fitting of a different water pump, different power steer pump with different mounting bracket and different power steer lines, different aircon compressor with different bracketry, different alternator and different mounting bracket is next to no work?

That's almost everything that an accessory to the engine...

The XT has multi tib belts (so all the pulleys are different), the Loyale has 2 V belts.

flywheels on spiders I have had, came with standard EA82 timing marks and belt align marks on the flywheel. just think it is harder to read flywheel so they produced the marker plate bolted to the water pump. Pointer NLA exJapan either. If you are just adding the manifold , the pulleys don't need swapping over surely ? Spider bellhousings are different to EA82 and EA82T non spider- to the keen eye . Timing marks are on the pointer plate, one cut on the pulley

I'm swapping over the engine as I'm changing from a carb fed NA EA82 to the EA82T.

I'll leave the pointer on the front of the engine, then I'll confuse any mechanics :P

The issue with putting a mark on the pulley is that the multi rib crank pulley has a locating stud so it can only be positioned uniquely onto the crank, the V belt pulley doesn't have this stud.

I know this is a simply job of drilling a hole in this pulley, then pressing in & spot welding in the locating stud, but this needs to be done reasonably accurately...

I was not saying that swapping all of that stuff is easy, just that it isn't required. The PS pump has a different reservoir, but that is the only difference in accessories between my XT and my turbo wagons (other than the fitment of ribbed-belt pulleys).

Pretty sure that locating pin is just a roll pin.  When you pull the pulley off, sometimes it stays in the pulley, sometimes it stays in the cam sprocket.

On my XT with spider manifold, if I work at it, I can see the flywheel marks to set the timing.  You have to find just the right position for the timing light, but it is doable.

I was not saying that swapping all of that stuff is easy, just that it isn't required. The PS pump has a different reservoir, but that is the only difference in accessories between my XT and my turbo wagons (other than the fitment of ribbed-belt pulleys).

Pretty sure that locating pin is just a roll pin.  When you pull the pulley off, sometimes it stays in the pulley, sometimes it stays in the cam sprocket.

On my XT with spider manifold, if I work at it, I can see the flywheel marks to set the timing.  You have to find just the right position for the timing light, but it is doable.

If you pulled some of the brackets off holding the 3 accessories, you'll find subtle differences between the XT parts & the rest. Just enough to make them not compatible :(

But I've got all the stuff for the V belts (including a modified aircon bracket to suit the spider intake manifold), and cos I've got a wagon I don't have the bonnet clearance issues.

But it's good to know that the timing mark is still on the flywheel. I can see that access is difficult, but not impossible. See how it goes with an intercooler sitting up there also tho ;)