Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to know if i can do this!

I am in need to know if I can change my rear CV axle by myself and not have a shop do anything?

what has been happening is the inside of the CV axle(the big round part that flexes), has been making all kinds of snapping sounds and is LITERALY starting to seize up and making the car almost stop!!

Has this happened to any of you? and am I going to be able to fix it? I already have the new axle and plenty of tools. I have changed the front axles before but never the rear.

please let me know if you any information.

thanks, Austin

it should be pretty straight forward, theres a roll pin on both ends of the axle, and you may need to lower the rear diff mustache bar.

you my run into problems with the axle coming off the stub shaft and the diff stub they tend to be pretty comfy where they are and not happy about moving.

If the wheel is seizing up, the problem is probably rthe whee bearing. This requires a special pin socket and a press. Perhaps remove the trailing arm and take it into the shop and have them press in the bearing for you. You will save labor if yhey re not removing it from the car. You will need a 3/16" punch for the roll pin, and 14mm and 7mm tools.

agreed with the above.

The rears are held in with a pin either end instead of going through the hub.

• knock out the pins
  • jack up the car
  • leave the wheel on, then undo the bolt holding the strut to the suspension arm
  • they get lots of dirt & rust into the splines so be ready to use lots of lubricating spray and/or heat on the CV joint
  • put weight on the wheel downwards and the arm should move enough to allow the CV to get clear of the splines.

Before you go changing the CVs, now spin the wheel and you should get a feeling of how good/bad the wheel bearing is.

If you really have to, you can leave the rear axles out (by locking the centre diff on full-time-4wd models manual gearbox, or putting in the "FWD" fuse for full-time 4wd autos)