Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, first post and possibly my first Subaru.

I'm looking at a 2000 Forester L with 118k miles. I'm taking it to my mechanic, but I did check out the bottom of the car, it had no rust. I also checked out the engine, and one thing I noticed was the passengers side axle boot was ripped down the crease, how much will this cost to repair and is there anything else I should check out on the Forester that it is known for?

Not bad considering what some charge for labor on such things. You could do it yourself with fairly basic tools. If the axle is not clicking on turns, it can generally be re-booted, or just pay a bit more for the simplicity of replacing the axle itself. You'll hear a lot of opinions on OEM vs aftermarket axles. I've always used junk yard axles.

Welcome to the forum.

Apart from the usual look over - strong running engine, smooth shifting transmission, no structural rust etc. Check the heads for external leakage. Check the oil for signs of coolant mixing (looks like a milkshake)

Torque bind is fairly unique to AWD vehicles, while on a test drive, take some slow tight turns and feel for the car to shake and stutter. (Like a 4x4 in 4wd on pavement) indicating a torque bind issue.

Both issues are fixable if found, but are things you would want to know about before buying. Both repairs are a bit of a pain but can be done on a budget.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

If it has 118,000 miles, make sure the timiong belt has been done. if not, you are due for it. replace it now if it hasn't been done. A good subaru mechanic will be able to tell if anything has been apart yet or not.

With the timong belt, have the water pump replaced.

Fluch and replace the coolant to prevent head gasket trouble (due to corrosion, the coolant has anti corrosive chemicals that wear out and need to be changed) If you understand electrolysis, you get the idea.

Catalytic Converters can clog over time depending on how those miles were done on the road, the axle boot thing is a curse of this cars; the engine and transmission mounts are prone to break, even aftermarket parts, this is what usually causes them to break. The boots could have been gracked because they were too old, but it's a fairly good millage. Also check what Fox said about the Cam Head gasket, I had to repair the entire engine because I didn't pay attention to the early signs of the issue.

• 2 weeks later...