Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

checking sensors &/or not filling the gas tank?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 later_Peter

later_Peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Central Oregon

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Last night I plugged those little green connectors, under the dash, together... heard lots of clicks as solenoids activated & deactivated... I've been throwing a CEL so I went back to the "recycling yard" for a egr solenoid... (plus a nice MAF). I had nearly a full tank of gas when I started (I asked to "fill it" & had only 21 miles on the trip meter when I left this morning)... on the way to the yard, I watched my gas guage drop... like 50% of normal mileage...

so, my question is: Does cycling the solenoids reset the computer? Leaving it to re discover the way the engine runs.

OR

did I just not get a full tank of gas? (so gas mileage only *appears* to be off)

ALSO: no more CEL 60+ miles after resetting... so I don't think I'm going to be changing anything... "if it ain't broke..."

any wisdom from the realm?

#2 later_Peter

later_Peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Central Oregon

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

no advice? does cycling the solenoids affect the computer?

#3 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,699 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

cycling the solenoids should have no actual effect on the ECU.

The green connectors are test connectors - plugging them in allows one to check the function of the various solenoids, the engine fans, fuel pump, etc.

They should not be left connected, however.

leaving them connected could potentially be the source of your fuel issue - not saying it definitely is, but it could be because they do cycle the fuel pump on and off...

Edited by heartless, 16 October 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

There are two fuel level senders in the tank, a left side one on it's own and the right side one which is part of the fuel pump assembly. The gauge averages the readings of the two senders, so if one stops working, the gauge will never read above 1/2 even with a full tank. There are access covers in the floor right behind the back seat to get at the senders. Check for broken wires at the senders first, then check them with an ohm meter.

#5 Monkeybus

Monkeybus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Dundee, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

Hey Woods, I just replaced one sender on the pass side of my 1995 Legacy. My old sender was reading 50 one way and 32 the other way. My gage went from maxing out at 7/8's to stopping right at the full mark, but not hitting the peg above it. Should I replace the other sender too? ( I bought a new genuine Subaru Sender for the passenger side) Jared 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users