Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Early EA71 - Needle roller bearing for gearbox mainshaft?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

I have just tried to fit a fat case EA71 to my 1974 sedan. Unfortunately this is not the straight forward swap I hoped it would be! The later fat case engine has a pilot bearing pressed into the flywheel (like EA81 engines) while the EA63 engine uses a small needle roller bearing that is pressed into the end of the crankshaft. This means the EA63 4 speed gearbox is not compatible with the fat case engine as the bearing arrangement means the engine and gearbox do not join up. it does fit together without the bearing in the flywheel but unfortunately it is not possible to fit a needle roller bearing into the fat case crankshaft as the hole is too large. I am using the EA63 bellhousing and clutch because I would like to keep the original 4 speed. 

So my question to the board is (before I remove another engine!), does the early EA71 engine with external water crossover use the small needle roller bearing in the crankshaft like the EA63? My thinking is that it does but I would like to have this confirmed before I make another attempt. 

#2 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,274 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

Yes , same type as previous issue.

Good luck !

#3 nobangmycar

nobangmycar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Edendale, New Zealand

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

Yes, all EA71 engines in my garage have the needle roller spigot bearing, both early and late.  These can be a real pain to get out if they don't come out in one piece!  I have fitted a later EA71 to my '78 sedan with original 4 speed with no trouble, going from external coolant crossover to the later 'fat case'. Obviously not all EA71 run the roller bearing in the end of crank though like you have found.  Bugger!  Run a later 4 speed from late seventies car?

#4 nobangmycar

nobangmycar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Edendale, New Zealand

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

To answer your question, yes the early EA71 with external crossover should run the needle roller.  My original engine that was external crossover from '78 did.

#5 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

Thanks for the replies and confirmation.

I suppose that means there are three different stages of EA71 then, early, middle and late!!

Must be time for a Gen 2 5 speed for that fat case too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users