Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early EA71 - Needle roller bearing for gearbox mainshaft?

I have just tried to fit a fat case EA71 to my 1974 sedan. Unfortunately this is not the straight forward swap I hoped it would be! The later fat case engine has a pilot bearing pressed into the flywheel (like EA81 engines) while the EA63 engine uses a small needle roller bearing that is pressed into the end of the crankshaft. This means the EA63 4 speed gearbox is not compatible with the fat case engine as the bearing arrangement means the engine and gearbox do not join up. it does fit together without the bearing in the flywheel but unfortunately it is not possible to fit a needle roller bearing into the fat case crankshaft as the hole is too large. I am using the EA63 bellhousing and clutch because I would like to keep the original 4 speed. 

So my question to the board is (before I remove another engine!), does the early EA71 engine with external water crossover use the small needle roller bearing in the crankshaft like the EA63? My thinking is that it does but I would like to have this confirmed before I make another attempt. 

Yes, all EA71 engines in my garage have the needle roller spigot bearing, both early and late.  These can be a real pain to get out if they don't come out in one piece!  I have fitted a later EA71 to my '78 sedan with original 4 speed with no trouble, going from external coolant crossover to the later 'fat case'. Obviously not all EA71 run the roller bearing in the end of crank though like you have found.  Bugger!  Run a later 4 speed from late seventies car?