Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy timing belt tensioner bracket

I'll be looking for a timing belt tensioner bracket when I hit the salvage yard.  Does anyone know if you can remove the bracket without removing the cam sprocket on that side?  It isn't clear to me after looking at the FSM.  There the cam is removed before the bracket, but I'm not sure if that required for clearance issues or if they just chose to do things in that order for other reasons.

After a momentary vision of an upcoming episode with helicoils or something similar I realized that my problem hole is on the tensioner bracket and can be solved through an easy replacement.  I was having a hard time figuring out the part number but I think I have it (13086AA012 if someone could confirm that I have the right part that would be helpful) from a site called opposedforces.com.  Is there another/better site for determining part numbers that one cannot determine from some of the online mail order dealer sites/diagrams?

Yes, I've determined that I needed a better torque wrench.  Getting things accurate with a beam wrench is not that easy.  

• 3 weeks later...

Fabulous first run to a salvage yard near me today.  I can confirm that the tensioner bracket does easily come off without removing the cam sprocket.  Three bolts and it is free (after removing the tensioner and water pump).

Now that I have it off, I see there is a long rubber gasket along one edge (like the L shaped one on the water pump).  I am pretty sure mine is bad.  I don't see that piece in any of the timing belt kits on ebay.  Does anyone know if that is a dealer only part?

• Like 1

I have purchased 2 different complete gasket kits (both from different manufacturers) that both had that rubber seal in them, so no, I dont think it is a "dealer only" item - BUT - I dont think you can get "just" that piece. You may need to get a whole timing cover gasket/seal set to get it - that kit will include all the seals & grommets for resealing the timing covers.

and it is a bear to get the bracket in place with the new seal on... just did a complete reseal on an EJ22 a couple of months ago and that was one of the seals replaced - engine was out and on an engine stand, timing area completely taken apart - I cant imagine trying to get that sucker in with the motor in the car and cam pulley still in place.

BTW - the only thing that seal does is keep moisture/dirt/oil out of the timing belt area from the backside. I would not consider it a "critical" seal, espicially if you run without covers as many do....