Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBS

bengecko

Hey Gang - first post for me here. Nice to see the forum is so lively. I am just about ready to put some serious obsessive energy into fixing my little gem up like (better than) new. Needless to say rather than  Of course it will have to be a little bit at a time. I plan on posting more pictures as I progress. 

post-48732-0-40342100-1381899595_thumb.jpg

Basic model 2000 OBS with stock green paint (clear coat coming off - pretty ugly) and stock wheels. It's your basic fixer-upper. I bought her new and she has 130k miles. I've been through one clutch (around 100k as expected). I have been really good with engine maintenance so she runs like a top. 

post-48732-0-54449400-1381899622_thumb.jpg

Driver-side door has slight damage after finding myself pinned between a semi and a stubborn column of traffic. Luckily the truck driver stopped at the last minute and barely nudged us.

First on my list: wheels. A good friend at work recommended I start with wheels because it's a no-brainer easy way to make the care look way better which will, in turn, inspire me to do more. The frame absolutely straight and she drives like new. Of course, being a Subaru and keeping the maintenance truly helps. Under the hood is ok (for now) until I work on the aesthetics a little first. There is some minor left-front number-cover damage which I would like to fix. Not sure if I should try and fix the bumper somehow or just get a replacement new bumper. The minor body damage is an eyesore for me - for some reason I just want to get rid of it and get a nice new paint job. I really want a rugged look but I don't want the green/gold anymore. I think I want one deep color like a deep blue or black. This is the very beginning for the renewal of the best car I have ever owned.  

post-48732-0-59977300-1381900065_thumb.jpg

Nice OBS! Welcome to the board. I'm just on the other side of the hill from you. Driving the same color schemed OBS. Mine is a 97 and over 2x the mileage of yours, so expect plenty more dependability out of it.

Any of the 5x100 Subaru rims should fit your car, so you've got plenty to choose from. I've also seen the 5x100 chevy cavalier/pontiac sunfire, VW, and chrysler/dodge rims on subarus. Mine currently has 15 inch steels on it from a 2000 Sebring.

Your comment got me thinking on new paint job/rugged look. Do some research on the $50. rustoleum paint job. I've done a few of these over the years and may do one for my Impreza in the near future. It takes a bit of time and isn't showroom quality but is a tough, long lasting paint job that looks great in gloss or flat.

Glad you're keeping this one running like a top. Too many cars of this age just get beaten to death after they turn 100k. General public seems to think that's the end of life for a car. Never realizing that these cars make it into 200, 300 and 400k if they are well maintained.