Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm looking to purchase a newer subaru from the dealership

i'm partial to a 5-speed so its limited my self to about 3 cars

2005 legacy wagon 80,000 miles $9,000

2006 outback 110,000 miles $8,000

2005 outback sport 130,000 miles $7,950

now i really like the legacy wagon, but they gave me vehicle history report and a photo-copied piece of paper with written description of what has been replaced and when.??? i already dont like

it says that in aug 2011 timing belt, headgaskets were replaced, but looking at the vehicle history report, aug 2011 this car only had 66,000 miles on it???? WTF

looking at the headgaskets i can see they are a multi-layer metal gasket, but i dont know what the factory gasket is suppose to look like???

Timing belt/head gasket replacement is a good thing. The head gaskets on those 2.5 motors were a pretty common failure. If it hasn't already been done, you can expect the car to need it somewhere down the road. Timing belts are recommended at 75,000 miles. Sounds like a good call to me. If the head gaskets started going at 66k, may as well do the timing belt since it has to come off to do the heads anyway. If the repair was done properly, that engine is good to go for a long time.

Apart from that, all are good options and fair prices for that age subaru. I'm partial to the outbacks since the ground clearance makes them more versatile to use. The imprezas are smaller which makes for better handling but less space for people/gear/whatever. But none of these platforms would let you down. They're pretty tried and true.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

Among the three vehicles listed, the over-priced Impreza still has the suspension set-up from the original Legacy platform. The two others, 3d gen Legacies, have hockey-puck control arm bushings in the front that are prone to cracking, and in the rear there's multi-link that doesn't have as much travel. The engines are the same though, head gaskets and all.

Edited by avk
  • Like 1

My boss has a 2003 Legacy Outback with the 5spd that he bought new. It's pushing 200k now and the only things really wrong with it are, radio quit working right and the cruise quit. One set of head gaskets at 100k miles that he had changed before they blew.. The car does not look like it has 200k on it, but it does

all basically the same cars.  just get what you want.

if it has an MLS headgasket - that is indeed a good thing. and a new timing belt. 

EJ25's often need headgaskets replaced.  They leak externally - so you should inspect the lower headgasket mating surfaces for any signs of leak prior to purchase.

then when you get one take note to make sure the coolant is changed and Subaru's Coolant Conditioner ($2.50) is added - it's required for that engine.

• 2 weeks later...