Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Check out my new 82 GL 4x4 Wagon!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Charleston SC

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

So last month I bought this cruiser & I've been driving it ever since! It's a 1982 GL wagon 4x4 & it has the 3rd Headlight option! And it even works! VERY little rust too. The more I looked it over the better it kept looking. Turns out everything works! I love the plaid seats & original brown & orange decals/pinstriping! Anyhow I put new tires/painted the wheels, new distributor cap/rotor, plugs/wires and now it runs great! 166k on the odometer. 

For right now I do have one question. I heard Subaru advised to not leave the rear suspension adjusted up for extended periods. Is this true? Also the nuts on the front struts where you can raise the car are really hard to break loose. Anyone have any experience with those items. Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics!

Attached Files

#2 JuhaKankkunen

JuhaKankkunen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Nice!!!! It's the same color that my 1981 Wagon!
The front suspension adjuster nuts turns hard because there is a lot of dust there and maybe nobody turns them since long time ago.....just ad some WD40 and ready to go again. Use a 21 mm wrench for that work.
I have never any trouble using rear suspension rised up.

Please post some interior pics!

Martin

#3 SnatchedHatch

SnatchedHatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Munster, IN

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Those seats!! Haha I wish my hatch came with them, so jealous.

#4 the sucker king

the sucker king

great fisherman

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • Lyons, Colorado

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

I heard Subaru advised to not leave the rear suspension adjusted up for extended periods. Is this true? Also the nuts on the front struts where you can raise the car are really hard to break loose. Anyone have any experience with those items. Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics!

I have never heard about Subaru recommending not to keep it adjusted all the way up, but it does put more stress on the torsion bars to keep them in the raised position, so it would weaken them over time in theory. I have never broken one and have left them adjusted up the majority of the time. Some people on this board have broken them, but I think most of them adjusted it by clocking the torsion bars beyond the stock adjustment., stressing them even more. I wouldn't think twice about leaving it adjusted all the way up.

The front adjusters get real dirty and rust really bad. soak them with penetrant for a long time and make sure you adjust them with the car in the air, not on the ground. same for the rear, take the weight off the suspension.

Nice score!

#5 Mundog64

Mundog64

Advanced Member

• Gold Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Lomita, CA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

That's a very nice looking wagon. I really like the colors. Looking forward to more pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users