Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks Shawn! FlyScooby is back! Question.

Thanks Shawn:

I do have a question for you (BEFORE YOU TAKE OFF FOR THE MEET, IF YOU CAN) or anybody that can help. I found a post from you pertaining to the replacement of cam seals on on a EA-82. You suggested drilling holes into the seals and then screw in sheet metal screws to pull out the seal. Dose this work well? I'm a little worried about this procedure. Dose this method work well for the front crank seal as well? Are the timing gears on the front of the crank pressed on besides the main bolt? Back to the cam seals. Do I need to replace the O-rings on the camshaft front end caps? Dose most of the pressure/oil leakage come from mainly the seals. For the longest while I thought my new oil pump/seal was leaking. I think now this is not the case. Oil is come from front main crank seal. Please advise.

I've heard about that method for removing seals many times, and I think it would work fine on the front crank seal as well. I may find out myself in a few days, as I might have to do that as well. I would just be very careful not to go too far in with either the drill or the screw, as that could end badly. As to the O-rings, I would replace those while you're in there. I have no idea if they are prone to leaking or not, but the ones I took out of my 140k engine didn't even look like O-rings any more, they were like "squished-flat hard piece of rubber" rings instead.

The drill/sheetmetal screw method works great for removing the seals. As mentioned, use caution when drilling and inserting screws.

Upon replacing the front crank seal, Do Not drive it in to far. You want it just past flush with the face of the bore it goes into. Otherwise, you'll block an oil passage.

The T-belt drive cogs should slide off of the crank, may need a little help from a pry-bar. Pay attention to how they are on the crank before removale. They need to go back on the same way, and they can be put on backwards if you're not carefull. Talking about the lip/belt-guide that's on them. I stand guilty of doing this myself, but caught it before I had the T-belts back on. DOH!!!!