Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nissan alt swap

Hi guys totally just did the swap, in my case it was from a 96 Sentra, 15 amp more than stock , and well necessity is the mother of all great things.

Thinkin when I get the cash I might just chase an alt from a late 80s early 90s Dodge Dakota, case looks damn good eyeballed out pretty well anyways, double pulley, and well a 120 amp option... <insert tim allen moment>

87 GL Wagon

Nissan alt was real easy, field wires go big one on the left small one on the right, spacer in my case was putting it in spot, spinning it while drawing a line, and grinding the smaller side down to said line. Please note this is my instance, differences in manufacturing cause different depths. The battery terminal wire eye connector needs to be upgraded cause of the larger terminal. Since this is only 15 amps over stock no wiring upgrades should be required.

As far as the Dodge alt goes... it was a buddies alt, we were r&r his 3.9 litre. He didn't believe me that'd drop into my car, so I did. No connections mind you, just put it in spot.

Well done TallonX! Such a simple solution to our electrical needs! There will be more work involved involved in pretty much anything other than the Nissan alt, but if you need the power, then have at it!

I did one on my '92 Loyale, single pulley, WITH AC. Lots of folks specified procedures for the older dual pulley setups, so I wasn't sure if I could make it work or not, but it was easy as hell. I used an alt for an '87 to '94 Maxima. Specifically, I ordered a '92 alt, same year as my car and was in the range, so I would remember in the future what would work. Nice 90-amp, direct bolt-on upgrade.
My response post on a nice step-by-step guide that somebody else wrote:
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/97208-bolt-in-ea-series-alternator-upgrade-nissan-maxima-alt-installation-guide/page-8?do=findComment&comment=1150123

This thread is worth reading from start to end. It is a lifesaver. If you're a Loyale person trying to see if this alt upgrade will work, look at the reply directly above the one this link will send you to. It is my first reply to the thread trying to answer and clarify some questions for us Loyale folks.. Just based on my experience with my swap.

Edited by Tofutti

I've done this swap, works well, but getting a nice reman is hard. On my 3rd one. If you've got the coin, spring for a brand-new unit.

Ask for a '90 Maxima alternator (3.0 V6, SOHC. Be careful as the early 90s maximas had the SOHC and DOHC 3.0 V6. The DOHC is clocked wrong)

The plug is different, but if you're careful, you can "backout" the wires from the factory T-plug and they click right into the new maxima plug.

The only "modification" you have to do is take the spacer and 1V pulley off the original, shorten the spacer by approx 3mm, then slap it on the Max alternator.

Any remaned import alt tends to be crap in all actuality lol

Anywho, the Dodge alt I'm speaking of is a Nippon-Denso line ULT p/n 13313 I'm gettin this from the orielly's website btw I would drop the link but I'm doing this from my phone lol

Edited by TallonX