Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smell of gas.. and it's not the beans

Noticed it the last few days when I get out of the car.  Pretty strong smell of gas.  Nothing obvious under the hood.  No wet spots etc. I suspect it could be the fuel line coming from the tank before it gets to the engine compartment but I don't know how its routed or what to look for.  It's a '96 legacy wagon with 168K miles.  Otherwise well maintained and runs fine.  Seems gas milage has gone down a bit.  Average 24mpg.

I'll be crawling under it tomarrow.  Appriciate any advise. 

Check the filler pipe in the right rear wheel well. Common leak spot. There is a cover on the filler that traps dirt, crud, salt, gravel, and moisture. It leads to rusting of the filler pipe and small pinhole leaks.

Edit: I said left before, meant to say right. (Brain fart)

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

Thanks. Just so I'm clear. In the fill door I'll find two screws which hold the plate on and I can cut it in two to get it out. Then I assume I'll be able to inspect the filler pipe for leaks. Am I thinking right? Can the filler pipe be replaced from here too? Thanks again.

no, right behind the tire, there are 2 screws holding the cover on.. The filler neck is done from the wheel well, but you will need to remove the tire for that.. You should be able to get the hoses off the filler neck without much issue. There is enough room under there. If you need to replace the hoses, you will need to lower the tank for clearance 

Edited by matt167