Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Smell of gas.. and it's not the beans

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Noticed it the last few days when I get out of the car.  Pretty strong smell of gas.  Nothing obvious under the hood.  No wet spots etc. I suspect it could be the fuel line coming from the tank before it gets to the engine compartment but I don't know how its routed or what to look for.  It's a '96 legacy wagon with 168K miles.  Otherwise well maintained and runs fine.  Seems gas milage has gone down a bit.  Average 24mpg.

I'll be crawling under it tomarrow.  Appriciate any advise. 

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,089 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

Check the filler pipe in the right rear wheel well. Common leak spot. There is a cover on the filler that traps dirt, crud, salt, gravel, and moisture. It leads to rusting of the filler pipe and small pinhole leaks.

Edit: I said left before, meant to say right. (Brain fart)

Edited by Fairtax4me, 20 October 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#3 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

My tank has a split seam on a corner. Another thought.. Filler neck is the most common ( and mine is somewhat non existant too )

#4 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Will do. How do I get in to see it? Is it easy to see once I get the wheel off?

#5 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

A bit more info. I believe I only began to smell gas once I filled the tank a few days ago.

#6 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

2 screws hold the cover on.. If you don't want to take the tire off, you can get a pair of tin snips in there to cut it in half and pull it out quick. Subie should not have put them on there anyway.

#7 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Thanks. Just so I'm clear. In the fill door I'll find two screws which hold the plate on and I can cut it in two to get it out. Then I assume I'll be able to inspect the filler pipe for leaks. Am I thinking right? Can the filler pipe be replaced from here too? Thanks again.

#8 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

no, right behind the tire, there are 2 screws holding the cover on.. The filler neck is done from the wheel well, but you will need to remove the tire for that.. You should be able to get the hoses off the filler neck without much issue. There is enough room under there. If you need to replace the hoses, you will need to lower the tank for clearance 

Edited by matt167, 19 October 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#9 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

I think I got it. I'll pull the tire and take the cover off. I imagine I'll be smelling gas pretty good by then if that's the issue. I guess lowering a tank full of gas can wait till it's closer to empty. Much appreciated.

#10 Redhat

Redhat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks guys. Once I looked, it was self evident. Man that plastic cover makes the filler tube rot out. New one on the way. Looks easy to replace. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users