Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 wagon bad gas mileage

Clocked my 85 wagon at 18 MPG.. I KNOW this is not right for a 2WD 5 speed! I have noticed that the temperature gauge reads way cold, like the car doesn't have a thermostat, adn I know that a cold engine requires more fuel than a warm one, so I'd think the computer would be adding fuel, but I wouln't think it would be THAT much.. I'm also still gettting a code 52, and I have no idea what to check/fix to get rid of the code..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you checked the vacuum advance? Ported or manifold, no vacuum advance = rotten fuel consumption.

Pop the dist. cap, and pull off the tube going to the distributor advance can at then manifold/carb end, and suck on it. (It tastes bad! But not as bad as trying to start a gas syphon.) You should see the distributor plate move. Stick your tongue on the end of the tube to block it, and it should stay there.

Good luck.

Guest taprackready
I have noticed that the temperature gauge reads way cold, like the car doesn't have a thermostat, adn I know that a cold engine requires more fuel than a warm one, so I'd think the computer would be adding fuel, QUOTE]

You have already partially answered your own question. Start with the obvious problem, fix it. If you still have problems then continue on with the trouble shooting. Yes, a bad thermostat will cause problems.

Bill

okay well I changed my thermostat, and flushed my cooling system. The thermostat they gave me was a 180, which is what I took out.. Shouldn't it be a 195? STill showing the code, althugh the heater works better now, and it still runs too cold... Today I am going to look it up at school and see what I can find...