Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey All,

I am having head light and reverse light issues...

About 6 months ago my reverse lights stopped working... I didn't have anyone take a look at it as I was traveling etc. and wasn't using my car much and then well it just got put on the back burner until all of a sudden my headlights stopped working too!  When I have my light switch off and my hand break up they work, but if I try to turn them on or anything nothing, no headlights or fog lights or high beams... but my day time indicator light and back light work.  Through some research I thought it was my DRL module.  Well I just changed it and nothing! I have power in but no power out of the module! I also heard that it could be cracked wires in the top of the trunk, inspecting those I do not see any problem with them.... Anyone have an idea of what can be going on? I am at a loss, any insight will help!

It is a Subaru Legacy GT Limited wagon - 2005

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Melissa

It seems from what you say here that DRL lights are working since the light switch is off and the head lights are on, but the DRLs should turn off if the hand brake is pulled up a couple of notches or more. So that is a something a little strange. I'm not sure if the DRLs use the high or low beams on your car. Have you made sure that the other set of lights are good and not blown out? If you haven't I suggest you do that first. Since the DRLs seem to work this means the power relays and fuses are ok and the trouble is with the return side of the wiring.

Thanks for your reply! The only way my headlights work right now is if I have them switched in the off position and pull up my hand brake.  I have to have the hand brake up before going into reverse or drive so they work... if I put it in drive and then put the hand brake it doesn't work :huh: very annoying... ATM this is my way of driving at night for the last few weeks!

I have checked all light bulbs etc. and they are all in good shape... It has got to be a wiring issue, I just don't know where to start... Looks like it might be too much for me to do on my own and I will need to bring to a garage ugh!

Please check the lights that don't light up and make sure the bulbs are good. Some folks have found out that both bulbs were simply burned out. The reverse issue might be due to a grounding problem. The lights are turned on through the switch using a switched ground connection.