Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any other year fit 97 legacy L headlight w/ turn signal built in?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pixie

pixie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • ojai, CA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

I have a 97 legacy L and can't find a headlight assembly with the built-in turn signal like the original, without special ordering a new one at too high a cost. Lots of places have the one that doesn't have the built-in turn signal but none have the one-piecer.
Does anyone know if the separate headlight and turn signal would fit and work instead, or if any other year or model's headlight assembly could fit and work?
Many thanks!!

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

www.car-part.com

Lots of them in the yards in Colorado.

#3 pixie

pixie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • ojai, CA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'm in Quebec, Canada... So hoping someone might know of a possible substitution. Thanks!

#4 bluedotsnow

bluedotsnow

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • vallejo

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

YES one piece and two piece should be swappable, I was having a conversation with my roomie/mechanic about that he said that its just the housing that differs. wire sockets and mount points are the same so you can swap them around.

my goal is to fit up impreza head lights from around 98-99 and use the turn signal from the two piece. I like glass headlights!  mmmm fabrication!

#5 pixie

pixie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • ojai, CA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sweet!
I'll head back to the yard tomorrow, and let you know how it turns out. Good luck with your project.

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,423 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yes, the do fit. The 2 piece i believe was 1995 and may be 96

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,618 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

95 and 96 had the one piece headlight housing with the signal housing built in. Some 97s had them as well, but anywhere you look for a 97 headlight housing they will give you listings for nothing but the two piece style.

Search for 95 or 96 Legacy (trim level doesn't matter) and you will get listings for the one piece.
Junkyards are good for low prices, but you may need to clean the lens because they all fade and yellow with age.

#8 pixie

pixie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • ojai, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

Thanks guys! I'll let you know what works.

#9 pixie

pixie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • ojai, CA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the advice! Good thing for this forum - every parts store I contacted said the two separate parts wouldn't fit... but as you all said,  they did! Used parts from a 1998 Legacy Outback. Had to cut the wires and use the connectors from my vehicle, but other than that: simple!

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users