Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru Service Advisor

Hello All!

My name is Joe and I will be starting a new job as a Service Advisor for a local Subaru dealer. I would like to know what you all like/don't like about your Customer Experience on the service side of things. What do you wish your Advisor knew, would do or not do, what makes for a great experience, etc. ? Guess I'm just looking for SPECIFIC info relating to your INTERACTION with me when you visit. Thanks in advance!

Joe

1. If I've been there 20 times before and purchased 3 cars from your dealership, know something about what I'm bringing there. I know you're new, work harder to know a little about me and what I drive. It goes a long long way and is worth the extra effort. AND, if you know me, bring up something we talked about a prior time I was there. It makes me feel like you're listening and you care about more than a $ale.  Maybe make some notes and review them before I arrive. I'm not talking about anything major... just something. Like, is the alignment we did last time still treating you right?

2. The last time I was really mad, I got a recall notice and scheduled an appointment telling the SA that I was bringing the car in for that and whatever else (Oil change, probably). They call me at 4PM telling me to pick up the car but they didn't have the part for the recall and I'd have to bring it back. REALLY? You didn't know that when I scheduled the appointment and you don't tell me for 7 hours after the car is there? Now, I have to arrange to come back. Man, I like you but not that much. Once every few months is MORE than enough. 

3. If you have a 50 point inspection as part of a service sales gimmick, do what you can to make sure that people are held accountable for actually doing the 50 points. If you say you're gonna fill the tires, fill the tires. If you're gonna check all the lights, check all the lights. Annoying when they tell you they're going to, you pay A LOT of money and you find out they don't. 

4. Compliment the car being serviced. Lie, I don't care. 

5. Call as early as you can. Waiting all day to find out sucks. I know you're busy and stuff, but if you can call, do. 

6. Automate things. Probably outside your control but text, email, schedule online, all that stuff. I don't want to have to talk, unless I have to! 

This is probably just normal stuff that anyone or any business should do. Cars require a little more due to cost and especially Subaru due to a perceived exclusivity of the brand. Just humble thoughts from a lifelong Subaru buyer and driver. 

• Like 1

I'd prefer mechanical, well versed, and significant experience on Subarus. the marketing bent folks that know service packages more than engines/systems they're for do not impress me.

But you're working with a population largely hands off with their vehicles, so there's quite a gap between members of this forum and your average customers.

Scole665...thanks for giving me some insight...:) I've been writing service for a while and the issues you bring up are fairly common, ie...treat ME like YOU want to be treated....:) I hate being BS'd, and I know when I'm being played....don't play me...:) I have to confess, I have accepted a position in another state, please don't think I was trying to be coy. I have found that dealers have a horrible reputation, and deservedly so (if not auto repair in general). Most customers have no idea what goes on under the hood, and rely on me to shoot straight with them....I take pride in that. I have found that word travels fast if you are a snake or a Saint. My managers are't always happy with me because my numbers are usually lower that the rest of the team, but my customers are happy and ask for me, and no one else. Remembering your name....without at least a year of working with you it ain't gonna happen..:) Remember what we did last time and asking you how it has been so far....great advice (I can look in your history before you arrive) ! Wasting your time wastes my time. Occasionally the parts department will drop the ball, but the least I can do is remember what we ordered and make sure it's here when you get here...again, great advice... As for the multi point inspection, I am at the mercy of the tech. I have all my techs staple the oil reminder sticker to the ticket as a reminder for me to go out to the car, apply the sticker, check for greasy boot/fingerprints, make sure the radio is not set to the car wash guy's preference, wipe down your dash and console, and ensure you maintenance reminders have been reset; as for the pressure in the tires, I have to trust the tech. Lie about you're car? Not gonna happen...:) if your ride is a POS, you know it...:) Call early as I can....when I first started in this business I was told "if the customer calls first, you loose"....I agree. I truly like talking to people yet I understand you wanting as little chit chat (unless it's important) as possible. Automation makes my life (and you'rs) easier, but management has to cough up the bucks to make it happen. Thanks again for taking the time, stay in touch, and let's keep this ball rolling. If you're happy, I make money, simple as that...:) Grossgary....I WISH I were more technical, but I'm not. When I knew I wanted to work in this field I went to the library and studied an armful of books on mechanics, then applied to 32 dealers before one finally gave me a chance to be an Advisor. No disrespect meant, and I'm FAR from incompetent, but if I can't answer your question, I'll go grab the tech and let him explain it. Forgive me if I can't answer your question, berate me if I don't look for one..:) Thanks to both of you again for your post's!!!!!