Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Swap Question Tachometer Setup

Hello All, 

So I've finally finished my EJ swap on my GL wagon.. finally..  :banana: I'm just now setting up my gauges and had a question about the tachometer.  I'm wondering what wire to tap into on the cluster plug of the EA harness? The cluster wiring is still in place on the EJ harness so I just need to know which color is the tach wire on the legacy cluster(from the ECU to the dash plug) and which color is the loyale tach(dash plug)? I included a few pictures to help with explaining.  I thought it was probably easier posting on here then sorting through my mess of printed out factory manual pages..  :grin:

EJ harness wires going to cluster plug on the "legacy" harness.  I'm pretty sure its one of these three just don't remember which one: 

IMG_1670_zps897d358b.jpg

IMG_1669_zps5537d1f6.jpg

And here is the cluster plug wires on the loyal car: 

IMG_1667_zpsd3fb6d96.jpg

And just because I'm so happy its done! Under the hood... 

IMG_1671_zpsc7375bc3.jpg

Thanks in advance :headbang:

• Like 2

I think you need to have a better look at the instrument cluster and learn how circuit boards work. The pics you've posted for the cluster are not for the gauges...

Also, there will be some stamping on one of the "tracks" behind where the tacho goes saying "Tach". Trace it along the board...

Really? Because I'm pretty sure I understand circuit boards. I already looked for the "stamping" on one of the "tracks" as you say. I didn't see it in plain view. It's probably there; I just didn't spend alot of time looking yesterday. I understand "tracing it along the board" would lead me to the correct wire... I ran out of time and thought I'd post because someone would know off the top of their head. I had guessed it might be these two plugs on the EA car because it was similar to the legacy I pulled the harness from.

I now know which wire to use from my first/second picture... :popcorn:

Black/Blue - Tachometer

Green/White - Oil pressure light

White/Green - Collant temp gauge

Just need to know the wire on the cluster for the EA car.. any takers? I'll figure it out later when I get home... again.. just thought someone might know off hand.

Finished soldering some wires. :Flame:  Tachometer is working now. :headbang:   

Round black plug on cluster - yellow wire. Just needed the service manuals for the loyale to confirm which one it was. JD was kind enough to host them: http://jdfinley.com/file-downloads/subaru-manuals/

FYI - there is no "stamping" on one of the "tracks" that says "Tach".  So actually having it pulled out and in front of me... I can confirm that.

I've traced plenty of wires mapping out keyboards, mother boards, printer PCB's, etc... It's kinda what I do for money.  ;) I picked some plugs, assumed, took pictures and posted because it was late and had work the next morning.  :brow:  Good to go now. 

For my temp gauge and oil pressure warning light I just hooked up the EA wire at the engine to the EJ sensor.  I really need to get around to doing the resistor mod on the temp sensor to make my temp gauge more "factory active"!

And for the Tacho, I picked up the yellow wire behind the big plugs for the dash board above the driver's feet - this way I don't need to worry about the EJ wires when I remove the dash board - it's all still a plug and play setup without complications :D

EJ's look (and go) awesome in the L series!  

EnJoy!

Cheers

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo