Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy/98 Forester suspension question

already planning on putting Forester struts/springs under the 'new to me' 95 Legacy, but need to know if the sway bar links from a 98 Forester are compatible? They look mighty close....

the 95 has a broken front sway bar link (along with both front springs being broken  :dead:  one more reason for the Forester swap)

not so worried about the sway bar itself (altho, may upgrade it in the future) but more concerned with the links at the ends - the Legacy has at least one broken link (probably from having broken front coil springs?) that will need replacing, and I may snag the rest off the Forester for future use.

Sounds like you're putting together a pretty solid vehicle. I think you can swap over the Forester rear control arm brackets to the legacy in place of Outback to avoid the tires getting stuffed forward. I've never heard this with 100% certainty though because I know they are a different style than the outback. Might want to take a measurement and check and see.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

Forester struts by themselves will only pull the wheel forward like 1/8". Probably less.

If you feel like swapping trailing arm brackets you can but they don't make that big of a difference. And if the car is rusty there's a good chance the bolts are rusted/seized and the captive nuts in the body will break off. Makes a lot more work than its worth to correct that little bitty difference.

the only reason any of the swapping is happening is because I just happen to have the Forester on hand - it was supposed to become another running vehicle but seems to have too many issues to make that happen, so...

If the trailing arm difference is only 1/8" (give or take), I dont think I am going to mess with it. Once the taller struts are in, I should have no problem fitting the 15" wheels on, right? Looking at tire size that will be close to the stock size in diameter so speedo isnt too far off...

Legacy stock size: 185/70-14

Forester stock size: 205/70-15 = speedo reads nearly 5mph slow (60 is more like 65)

(info from http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html)

If i go to 205/65-15 = 60 is more like 63

and 205/60-15 = 60 is more like 61

and a 195/60-15 is almost exact speedo wise...

Thoughts?

I used to run 195-60's on my 95 (trahwagon0 ) with forester strits. This according to the tire size calulator, was the closest match for the 3.900 gear (manual ) to a 185/70/14

a 205/60 would give you 8% difference. 205 70 might not clear regular struts. 205/70 will not fit on my 3door with xt6 strut

regardless of what tire you run,

check your speedo against a gps.

the best check is to drive 100 miles by the GPS and see what the trip meter reads.

what ever the difference is, that is your percentage of error.

then when you need tires, buy a size that is that percentage different than the ones you are running.

the point is, IF, IF, IF your speedo reads 2 mph faster than actual now,

the larger tires may only make it read 2-3 mph slower than actual.

i wouldn't buy tires just to correct this error, but i would correct it the next time i needed tires.

and i would cut back from driving 9 miles over the limit,

maybe just drive 3 mph over.