Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help with brat purchase pls

I went and looked at this brat today. http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/4132250117.html.

My question is about the noise the valves where making, they were very loud. here is the video th_VIDEO0030.jpg

Do you guys think the valves just need some adjustments or a new engine or rebuild.I realy want a brat and he came down on the price but I thought I'd run it by u guy's. Thanks

Edited by ShagginWagon

is it a 1.6 or 1.8? I think the 1.8 have hyd valves. If it's a 1.6 then it probably needs the valves adjusted before making further diagnosis...

but kinda hard to do that pre-purchase...if it's a 1.6 then haggle the price down a bit on the valve noise and hope all you gotta do is an adjustment...

The video did not load for me, but being familiar with brat/ea81, if it is hydraulic, then it may be ticking from sitting, or it needs an oil pump re-seal. Otherwise, adjust the valves and do whatever the scheduled maintenance is for the mileage.

Nothing is being ruined or nothing would be ruined. Use it to drive down the price, but don't let it scare you about getting into it. Doing the oil pump seal is stupid easy.