Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil behind spark plug grommet?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 99 Outback Sport

99 Outback Sport

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Greenwich, CT.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

So I was poking around the engine in my 99 OBS. after pulling out one of the plug wires / grommet I noticed a bit of oil in the gap between the head and block. I check three of the four plugs and they all seem to have same issue. I also notice hot oil smell from engine as well.
What could be problem?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,080 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

spark plug tube grommets are leaking oil.  see how the spark plugs go through the valve covers - there are gaskets there to prevent the exact issue you're having.  very common.

replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube gaskets at the same time.  i've seen some Fel Pro kits have both of those included.

#3 99 Outback Sport

99 Outback Sport

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Greenwich, CT.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Thank you.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,080 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...2c66bfb&vxp=mtr

the gasket on the left side of the photo shows the spark plug tube grommets "inside" of it - that's just for reference - verify the part numbers you need, though i think that may be the right one.

Edited by grossgary, 23 October 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,080 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:01 AM

sure thing.  i dislike those spark plug tube grommets, extra failure/leakage point, but not hard to replace at all.

very helpful to have a 10mm ratcheting wrench for the lower drivers side bolt...but not that hard of a job at all.

#6 99 Outback Sport

99 Outback Sport

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Greenwich, CT.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Thank you again. That is very helpful. I will be checking YouTube for DIY video. God I love the internet.

#7 99 Outback Sport

99 Outback Sport

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Greenwich, CT.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

GG. I managed to get the gaskets / grommets (Fel Pro) at Auto zone at a reasonable price. The place i usealy goto cost about 20% more for same thing.  

It went pretty smoothly, took me about 3 hours to complete. The hardest part was getting to the back bottom bolt on both sides.

The left valve cover was a bit tricky too manuver out / in but I just took my time. Takeing out the battery and wiper jug helped alot.

Thanks again for your help.

99 Outback Sport

AKA Gary

#8 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,080 posts
  • WV

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

excellent, good job!

that's what I meant about those 10 mm ratcheting wrenches, those lower bolts are difficult without one.  on some Subaru engines they're even worse, like 6 cylinders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users