Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need coaching on a transmission and differential swap

Hey guys, this may have been asked before, but I need coaching on this. I have a 98 Forester with a EJ25D and I want to change my transmission for a 5 spd or 6 spd from an Impreza. I've read about the differential ratios and final gear ratios had to match, so what could my options be?

If you have a manual trans you can find your current trans ratios here: http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

You don't stand to gain much by going with a 3.90 final drive. This would slow off the line acceleration. You may get a slightly lower highway rpm, depending on the 5th gear ratio.

The only option you have for better acceleration overall would be a 4.44 final drive.

If you have an automagic, any manual trans will be an improvement.

Thx a lot bro, the chart it's really helpful, there few options with the 4.444 Final Gear, ones that caught my attention are the TY752VB6SZ from the 22B Impreza and the TY752VB6EA with Helical LSD, are these fully compatible with mine? its the same year

Pretty much any Subaru will bolt to any transmission.  You will need additional parts and there will be wiring to correct so it's not just bolt in and go.

Drive Shaft may be a different length

Trans mounts are different

This is a pretty labor intensive change if your auto trans is working.  If you really want a standard transmission car it may be better to sell your auto and purchase a standard.

Yhet do bolt up, so if you want to swap a manual you will need along withthe trans:

manual transmission crossmember

front driveshaft(the rear portion is the same with automatic)

matching rear end diff depending on gear.

pedal box assembly

hydwaulic or cable clutch linkage depending on donor trans

you will need the flywheel and the crankshaft bolts that go with it.

a forester manual trans will have a 4.444 gear as well. the forester with the automatic (should be a 4.44) as well