Ultimate Subaru Message Board

U-joint replacement - anyone?

Did a bunch of searching, and found lots of discussions asking about replacing the "staked" u-joints on the Legacy/Outbacks, but it seems like no one has actually done it to provide feedback on the job?

Also found several links to various reman shaft suppliers,

This one: http://www.provenforce.com/driveline/subaru_drivelines.html#Legacy looks like my best bet for a "reman" replacement (cost wise) and they are reasonably close to me, too...

Saw the reman place out of Texas, but their prices are higher than the above, and much farther away, so would take longer...

And the link for the Rockford Driveline replacement joints w/instructions: http://www.rockforddriveline.com/replacem.htm

The 95 Legacy I am getting a new/used tranny put into has a "notchy" rear u-joint that is going to cause problems - of course the shop says "we cant service that, would have to replace the whole thing" - to the tune of over $700 :banghead:  (they were told to put the existing driveshaft back in "as is" for the time being) Carrier bearing seems to have a bit of slop starting as well...possibly due to the notchy rear joint causing extra stress?

Looking at car-part.com, the driveshafts are listed as separate front & rear sections...and of course the front section seems to be almost non-existant...and I would rather do the whole driveline as one unit to avoid future issues...

Has ANYONE actually tried using the Rockford u-joints??? either themselves, or taken to a machine shop for install?

Darn car is going to cost me a ton of money - but should be pretty rock solid when it is finally ready to roll....

Edited by heartless

I have never rebuilt a driveshaft but i can lend what i know:

Toyota u-joints will work. The ujoints are contained to the rear half of the shaft, and the carrier is contained to the front.

I once had a shop rebuild my toyota camper shaft, which was 2 pieces and 3 joints, for about 400 bucks including parts and labor. From what i understand there is a tool to ream out the stake, and then a circlip is used to replace it

I once gave away an ea82 driveshaft to a certain individial with a cetain xt, and when i got hte car from him, i inherited my old driveshadt with GREASE ZERKS! yes, someone installed greaseable u-joints in an ea82 shaft.

BTW i got your message and the driveshaft i have is in great shape.

• Like 1

I believe my mechanic has done this successfully, or was about to do it.  We are looking at replacing the drive shaft on the race car and so he was working on it to save us some bucks.  I will check and get back....

PS  I raced a 1200 mile race in Baja with a notchy driveline and then drove the car back...so you might have more time than you think with normal driving.

Edited by oregoncoast

On my EA82 I installed Duralast 2-0430DL joints.  I think the Legacy ones are the same.  I needed to grind a little bit from the inside of each yoke so the clips would sit flat.

With a small press it's not hard to push the old joints out past the staking.  With the new clips and a little Loctite 609 the new joints aren't going anywhere.

On my EA82 I installed Duralast 2-0430DL joints.  I think the Legacy ones are the same.  I needed to grind a little bit from the inside of each yoke so the clips would sit flat.

With a small press it's not hard to push the old joints out past the staking.  With the new clips and a little Loctite 609 the new joints aren't going anywhere.

Yup, you need to flatten out the inside of the yokes a bit for the clip to fit on the Rockford joints as well. I use a die grinder to clean up the staking marks.

Yup, you need to flatten out the inside of the yokes a bit for the clip to fit on the Rockford joints as well. I use a die grinder to clean up the staking marks.

I had rebuild my driveshaft a few years ago with Rockford joints.  I still had some vibration and one of the problems was that clips were different widths!  I replaced them all with the Duralast joints which were generally higher quality, and the clips were the same width.

I ordered a couple CV boots from them recently, and they charged me $27 for shipping.  Anyway, I'm peeved with Rockford.

Did

Has ANYONE actually tried using the Rockford u-joints??? either themselves, or taken to a machine shop for install?

i've done it, i'm sure you saw me post if you searched.

cut the old ones out, fit the rockford joints in.  it's fairly straight forward but a little bit of an art rather than just "remove - replace"....be careful of the needle bearings in the new joint, they won't want to go in easily/smoothly/straight.