Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cruise control on a 2006 impreza ej20 with elecrical controlled gaspedal

I just bought this week an impreza model 2006 (eu) with electrical controlled gaspedal.

As i was spoiled with cruise in my last forester i was wandering if an OEM subaru cruise

control could be fitted in my impreza.

I know there are aftermarket cruises that can be fitted but i am very curious if there is an

oem solution.

Can anyone tell me anything about this subject ?

Many thanks from holland

You can't use a cable operated cruise system with the electronic throttle. There's nowhere to hook it up, and if you doo hook it up it will make the ECU flip out because the throttle body will not respond properly to inputs from the ECU.

Have to use a Subaru factory cruise system, which is probably pretty easy to hook up. The wiring is probably there, just need the module and switches.

The drive-by-wire models don't use a separate cruise computer, the cruise switch connects directly to the ECU.  I have read that the ECU needs to be changed to have this functionality, which would be quite expensive and complicated.

There are two kinds of aftermarket cruise units, an all electronic one that goes inline from the gas pedal to the ECU, and a simple cable one that could be attached to the gas pedal arm itself.  I'd try to find the electronic variety myself.

• 1 month later...

The drive-by-wire models don't use a separate cruise computer, the cruise switch connects directly to the ECU.  I have read that the ECU needs to be changed to have this functionality, which would be quite expensive and complicated.

There are two kinds of aftermarket cruise units, an all electronic one that goes inline from the gas pedal to the ECU, and a simple cable one that could be attached to the gas pedal arm itself.  I'd try to find the electronic variety myself.

Hi!  Which years are considered "drive-by-wire"?

I have a 2001 Subaru Legacy L.  Is that drive-by-wire or not?