Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am trying to buy a base model Forester (2013 or 2014) with just two requirements: roof rails and clear glass windows.  No luck so far.  I was told base models can come with clear glass.  Is that so?  However, they do not come with roof rails.  If I found a base-model, clear-window Forester, could/would a dealer install roof rails for me on request?

Why ask a dealer?  Already did that.  Can't get a straight answer.  Some don't know what it takes to put roof rails in or who can/will do it.  Some don't know about windows:  "No, they all come with privacy windows."  "Yes, you can get tinted windows."  Uh, you can get windows that are grey, not green."  "There are three kinds of tinted windows."  "There are two kinds of tinted windows."  You can't get the roof rails."

Worse yet, the specs listed on Subaru websites cover everything from curbside weight, to torque, fluid capacities, and horsepower to mpg, color and trim — but nothing about windows other than tint, "privacy,""privacy," "privacy!"  What are Subaru drivers doing in their cars that requires privacy?  Wait — don't answer that!  Jesus!  All I want is a window I can see through!

manchuscout,

I have no info on the window tint, other than to wonder if an untinted car of any type is possible in the heat and sun of California.

That aside, there should be wrecking yards with the roof racks you require, as a lot of new cars don't get through their first year without being damaged enough to end up in a wrecking yard. They will certainly be your cheapest route.

Over that, its easy enough to pull all of the stuff that holds the headliner up, and take the headliner out the back tailgate. At that point, if you properly measure a Forester with the roof racks already installed, and then drill the holes required, you can mount the racks yourself.

A couple of things, seal those holes well with silicone to prevent rust and water ingress, when you place the racks on the roof and set the studs into the predrilled holes. I'm sure you'll find there will be about 5 to 6 studs requiring a nut on the underside of each roof rack rail. At least that's what I found on the roof racks of my 04 OBW LTD when I pulled the sunroof assembly out to fix the front tiltup section. Good Luck in your search.

or you could go with an aftermarket roof rack - like from Yakima or similar...

as for the galss - dont know what to tell ya on that. I doubt anyone here is going to know a whole lot more about what is available than what you can get out of a dealer.

Most folks dont have a problem with the tinted windows so dont ask about untinted...

and for the record, there hasnt been completely clear auto glass in a good number of years. Even glass that "looks" clear has a very faint blue or green tint to it.