Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy radiator in loyale?

92loyale59

Yes. I have it in mine. I got a 93 Loyale with a same year Legacy radiator. When I bought my Loyale new in 94, at 42K the cheap plastic sided stock radiator leaked.  told the radiator shop I wanted to replace it with one that didn't have any plastic. He looked up a Legacy radiator and said it would fit right in and it did. Had it ever since. Now got over 153K on that radiator. I don't have an EJ but rather an EA82 in my Loyale.

What are you going to do with your EA82 you are taking out?

Edited by MR_Loyale

Yes. I have it in mine. I got a 93 Loyale with a same year Legacy radiator. When I bought my Loyale new in 94, at 42K the cheap plastic sided stock radiator leaked.  told the radiator shop I wanted to replace it with one that didn't have any plastic. He looked up a Legacy radiator and said it would fit right in and it did. Had it ever since. Now got over 153K on that radiator. I don't have an EJ but rather an EA82 in my Loyale.

What are you going to do with your EA82 you are taking out?

hate to argue but the Legacy raditator will not just "Bolt right in" to a loyale.  Legacy radiator is taller by a few inches.  There is no way unless you modified the lower support of the car.

Also, what hoses are you using to attach EA82 to larger diameter fittings that would be on a Legacy radiator? If you used the stock hoses then you didn't get a Legacy radiatorl.

I am guessing he just found you an all metal Loyale radiator.  Because Legacy radiators are also plastic and aluminum.

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1

hate to argue but the Legacy raditator will not just "Bolt right in" to a loyale.  Legacy radiator is taller by a few inches.  There is no wayuwithpuytuu modified the lower support of the car.

Also, what hoses are you using to attach EA82 to larger diameter fittings that would be on a Legacy radiator? If you used the stock hoses then you didn't get a Legacy radiatorl.

I am guessing he just found you an all metal Loyale radiator.  Because Legacy radiators are also plastic and aluminum.

Agreed, I have an Impreza radiator in my loyale and an ej swap creates some space issues between the crank pulley and the radiator. I had to cut/modify upper and lower core support to get it to fit.

I have read that the BRZ radiator will fit without too much modification.

hate to argue but the Legacy raditator will not just "Bolt right in" to a loyale.  Legacy radiator is taller by a few inches.  There is no way unless you modified the lower support of the car.

yeah thats what i was thinking i just didnt want to get in to it. Thanks i might try to see if i can get a old rad from one off my buddies but it looks like im probably just going to order a all metal one for a loyale and then get the right sized fittings brazed on

Well I know it isn't a stock Loyale radiator. I will have to see if I can find the paperwork. I do recall the guy saying it was for a Legacy.  Is there a part stamping or something I can post that will help identify it?

UPDATE: I just went out and measured it and the core measurements appear to be a Loyale sized core. I apologize if I gave anyone wrong information. All these years I thought I had a Legacy radiator in my Loyale. I know the guy at the shop told me it wasn't the stock radiator but from a different model. I just took the radiator and put it in. Not having a Legacy to measure against I took the guys word.  Either way he did indeed find me an all metal sided Loyale sized radiator.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Well I know it isn't a stock Loyale radiator. I will have to see if I can find the paperwork. I do recall the guy saying it was for a Legacy.  Is there a part stamping or something I can post that will help identify it?

Legacy radiator would have a vent screw on the passenger side at the top.

But If the openings on it are the same size as the outlets on the EA82 engine.......it is an EA82 radiator.

Also, if you didn't have to chop out the lower Core support of your car.......it's an EA82 radiator.

Also, if you still have a thermoswitch mounted in the radiator to control the electric fan......It's an EA82 radiator.

Also, if the fan itself bolted right to it.......it's an EA82 radiator.

Bottom line.......it's an EA82 radiator.

Legacy radiators will not "fit right in" without modification to the car

Legacy radiator would have a vent screw on the passenger side at the top.

But If the openings on it are the same size as the outlets on the EA82 engine.......it is an EA82 radiator.

Also, if you didn't have to chop out the lower Core support of your car.......it's an EA82 radiator.

Also, if you still have a thermoswitch mounted in the radiator to control the electric fan......It's an EA82 radiator.

Also, if the fan itself bolted right to it.......it's an EA82 radiator.

Bottom line.......it's an EA82 radiator.

Legacy radiators will not "fit right in" without modification to the car

Yes I think you are right. It has all those things. But good to know you can get EA82 radiators that are all metal and no plastic.

A legacy radiator will fit but like gloyale said it takes some modifications to the lower radiator support.Depending on the year of the car the sides of the radiator support might need to be cut alit bit to fit,or it might require cutting out the entire radiator support and replacing it with a piece of steel tube.