Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple days ago I decided to replace my water pump due to some overheating issues. After Replacing the water pump and putting it back together, I noticed when I turned my car on that the engine was really shakey during idle. Don't know if this means anything but my shifter was really shakey and was shaking my hand a lot. When I rev the engine to higher RPM's the shaking stops. The car also smelled like it was running rich. I also noticed a blinking CEL which means misfire I believe so I got one of our mechanics in the back (I work at a dealership) to let me borrow his code reader. It was reading that cylinders 1 and 2 were misfiring. So I got new wires and spark plugs and replaced the old ones, but the car still seems to be misfiring. I had to drive my car home sadly after work it was so late and I'm too broke to tow it. At higher speeds / rpms the cars CEL isn't blinking anymore it's just solid. OH! and when I checked my exaust it seems like a lot of air is being shot out of it when it's idling not solid stream it's like a puff puff puff puff kind of sound and feel.

I believe the next step would be for me to replace the ignition coils. But I'm not really too sure where to go from here. The car ran perfectly fine before replacing this stupid water pump. I just wanted to fix something and it seems I've made more problems for myself.

Am I missing something here?

What would my next step be?

Could it be the timing? That doesn't really make sense to me cause if it was the timing wouldn't all cylinders be misfiring?

How much are ignition coils? Might try and check my nearest Subaru recycling center.

Any help would be greatly appreciated : (

Most likely you have missed timed it.  The crank gear used the tick mark on the back of the pulley.  I would recheck the timing before you drive it any more.

Did you turn it over by hand once the new timing belt was on to make sure everything lined up and there was no piston to valve interference?

Hopefully you did not bend valves.

Why were you replacing the water pump?  If it was for overheating, you may have other issues.